[COM] Uni of Adelaide - Med School | 70m | 15lvl | $120m

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
mattblack
Legendary Member!

[COM] Re: #PRO: Uni of Adelaide - Medical School - 13lvl- $120 mil

#61 Post by mattblack » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:39 pm

Doen't matter what ACC wants. This project will be assessed by DAC and I bet will pass with flying colours.

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#62 Post by Nathan » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:44 pm

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenger ... 6840559337
Work to start on Adelaide University’s new medical and nursing school

WORK on the new Adelaide University Medical and Nursing School will start next month, but what will fill the upper half of the 12-storey building remains up in the air.

The university this morning announced it has appointed Lend Lease to build the $125 million project, the biggest in the sandstone institution’s history, next to the new Royal Adelaide Hospital and the South Australian Health and Medical Research Institute on North Tce.

“Bringing our medical and nursing schools together in the heart of the new biomedical precinct will deliver enormous benefits to students, staff and the local community,” the university’s vice president of services and resources Paul Duldig said.

“This state of the art facility in the West End will mark a new era for our teaching and research in health sciences and it will firmly reinforce our reputation as one of Australia’s most respected universities for medicine and nursing fields.”

The building will open in 2016.

A new dental school was to occupy the upper floors but it was revealed in November that the project was in limbo because of a lack of State Government funding for either the school or a new dental hospital.

A university spokeswoman today said funding talks with both state and federal governments were ongoing.

Any alternative uses would have to be medical-related as the building was in the biomedical precinct, she said.

skyliner

#63 Post by skyliner » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:37 pm

Top level restuarant to look over the Torrens and city - and provide access to staff.

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE
Jack.

Waewick

#64 Post by Waewick » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:20 pm

If that looks half as good in real life as the initial renders then wow

ml69
Legendary Member!

#65 Post by ml69 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:56 pm

Nathan wrote:http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenger ... 6840559337
Work to start on Adelaide University’s new medical and nursing school

WORK on the new Adelaide University Medical and Nursing School will start next month, but what will fill the upper half of the 12-storey building remains up in the air.

The university this morning announced it has appointed Lend Lease to build the $125 million project, the biggest in the sandstone institution’s history, next to the new Royal Adelaide Hospital and the South Australian Health and Medical Research Institute on North Tce.

“Bringing our medical and nursing schools together in the heart of the new biomedical precinct will deliver enormous benefits to students, staff and the local community,” the university’s vice president of services and resources Paul Duldig said.

“This state of the art facility in the West End will mark a new era for our teaching and research in health sciences and it will firmly reinforce our reputation as one of Australia’s most respected universities for medicine and nursing fields.”

The building will open in 2016.

A new dental school was to occupy the upper floors but it was revealed in November that the project was in limbo because of a lack of State Government funding for either the school or a new dental hospital.

A university spokeswoman today said funding talks with both state and federal governments were ongoing.

Any alternative uses would have to be medical-related as the building was in the biomedical precinct, she said.
Great news that this building is a go-er ... I'd guess it would be a two crane project due to the building's length.

Nort

#66 Post by Nort » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:45 am

Glad this is going ahead, it's just a shame the HMRI is going to end up blocked from view a but from North Terrace now.

All the more reason to hope that they do eventually construct a public park over the rail lines, to give nice views of the area!

Waewick

#67 Post by Waewick » Tue May 13, 2014 11:08 pm

I wonder if this project will benefit from the medical research fund? Perhaps with SAMRI and UNI SA we will become a leader in medical research

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#68 Post by monotonehell » Wed May 14, 2014 10:10 am

Waewick wrote:I wonder if this project will benefit from the medical research fund? Perhaps with SAMRI and UNI SA we will become a leader in medical research
What medical research fund?
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

ml69
Legendary Member!

#69 Post by ml69 » Wed May 14, 2014 10:16 am

monotonehell wrote:
Waewick wrote:I wonder if this project will benefit from the medical research fund? Perhaps with SAMRI and UNI SA we will become a leader in medical research
Announced in the budget last night. $20 billion medical research fund (yes, billion) by end of the decade, to be primarily funded by the GP co-payment.

Hockey says will be the largest such fund in the world by then.

Waewick

#70 Post by Waewick » Wed May 14, 2014 10:24 am

monotonehell wrote:
given everyones mock outrage at the budget cuts, i think most of the good stuff* has been overlooked

*to be honest, I have no idea if it is good or bad, but the employment opportunities seem fantastic

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#71 Post by monotonehell » Wed May 14, 2014 11:31 am

Waewick wrote:
monotonehell wrote:
given everyones mock outrage at the budget cuts, i think most of the good stuff* has been overlooked

*to be honest, I have no idea if it is good or bad, but the employment opportunities seem fantastic
I was being sarcastic. General consensus amongst the financial planners at my work (who are all in favour of this budget) is these funds are black holes. That is; the intent is to fund them from "savings made on Medicare" of which there will be none; and the other intent is to only release the funds once they reach $22 billion, which is projected to be about a decade away.

So again. What medical research fund?
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Jamminmelo15
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#72 Post by Jamminmelo15 » Wed May 14, 2014 1:35 pm

Will the construction of the new Adelaide uni building and the 80 million dollar cancer research facility be affected/halted because of the budget, and the removal of the Gonski education reform?

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#73 Post by Howie » Wed May 14, 2014 1:39 pm

Can't speak about the Cancer Research centre, but the University of Adelaide Medical School would've had to go ahead regardless. There was talk of accommodation issues going back 10 years ago, and with the closure of the old RAH it made no sense to remain open on Frome Road. The Med School would have already been budgeted for, and the University is in a lot better financial position than it was previously so no reason this would stop this project from proceeding.

Waewick

#74 Post by Waewick » Wed May 14, 2014 2:20 pm

monotonehell wrote:
monotonehell wrote:
I was being sarcastic. General consensus amongst the financial planners at my work (who are all in favour of this budget) is these funds are black holes. That is; the intent is to fund them from "savings made on Medicare" of which there will be none; and the other intent is to only release the funds once they reach $22 billion, which is projected to be about a decade away.

So again. What medical research fund?
Hockey said fund will start flowing next year?

Dog
High Rise Poster!

[COM] #PRO: Uni of Adelaide - Medical School - 13lvl- $120 million

#75 Post by Dog » Wed May 14, 2014 2:30 pm

Hockey said fund will start flowing next year?

You don't get a $20b fund by spending it, I think the money will be flowing in not out for many years to come.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk