News & Discussion: CBD Retail

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
cruel_world00
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: News & Discussion: CBD Retail

#1381 Post by cruel_world00 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:27 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:In what I regard to be a below the belt move, Grill'd will be opening at 187 Rundle Street (formerly Red Rock Noodle Bar); which places them directly across from Synagogue Place where Fancy Burger trades. Of all the prime real-estate they could have chosen to set up shop in the CBD they just happened to choose the place incredibly close to where established SA burger business sits. Good luck to FB, I won't be dining at that Grill'd.

You realise that's how business, capitalism and competition works, right? Also Grill'd go for the healthy burger approach which places like Burger Theory, Nordburger (near their Norwood store) and possibly Fancy Burger aren't necessarily after. Regardless, competition works in favour of the consumer because the cream rises to the top. I like variety so I will shop where ever I feel at any given point. Still happy to support local where possible, but will also take on board my appetite too.

Good luck to all the burger places and pray for our waist lines.

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1382 Post by Nathan » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:23 pm

You're right in that Burger Theory and Nordburger have nothing to worry about, but Fancy Burger is a very similar style to Grill'd. It will be very interesting to see what happens between the two.

Splashmo
High Rise Poster!

#1383 Post by Splashmo » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:10 pm

I feel like Fancy Burger is just an imitation of Grill'd anyway - who were doing it interstate a long time before.

mshagg
Legendary Member!

#1384 Post by mshagg » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:00 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:In what I regard to be a below the belt move, Grill'd will be opening at 187 Rundle Street (formerly Red Rock Noodle Bar); which places them directly across from Synagogue Place where Fancy Burger trades. Of all the prime real-estate they could have chosen to set up shop in the CBD they just happened to choose the place incredibly close to where established SA burger business sits. Good luck to FB, I won't be dining at that Grill'd.
The classic example tought in economics involves setting up an ice cream shop on a beach where one already exists. Long story short, the correct answer out of the various options is to set up next to them and compete. Probably little coincidence that burger theory resides in this budding burger precinct as well!

Waewick

#1385 Post by Waewick » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:09 pm

But it is also becuase that is where your market already is.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1386 Post by Ben » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:19 pm

I was just in David Jones and noticed as part of their refurbishment the area where the magic cave goes has been completely removed and replaced with beds. All the walls have gone and has been reptiles to form part of the store. Does that mean magic cave is gone forever? Another SA icon lost?

metro
Legendary Member!

#1387 Post by metro » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:37 pm

Ben wrote:I was just in David Jones and noticed as part of their refurbishment the area where the magic cave goes has been completely removed and replaced with beds. All the walls have gone and has been reptiles to form part of the store. Does that mean magic cave is gone forever? Another SA icon lost?
Magic Cave was lost when John Martins closed. That was the original, and it was logically well placed right next to the toys section, DJs put in a crap new version of it and placed it with bedding and furniture, because children love that sort of stuff :roll:

Nathan

#1388 Post by Nathan » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:18 pm

Magic Cave still there, and pageant still delivering Father Christmas to it (despite difficulties Tiffany's are causing).

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1389 Post by monotonehell » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:09 pm

Ben wrote:I was just in David Jones and noticed as part of their refurbishment the area where the magic cave goes has been completely removed and replaced with beds. All the walls have gone and has been reptiles to form part of the store. Does that mean magic cave is gone forever? Another SA icon lost?
I can imagine management would have a problem with square metres of floor space that was dormant for most of the year. They probably mooted a foldaway magic cave, which can be put into storage for the rest of the year, allowing the floor space to earn its keep.

Just curious, what word did you want when your 'auto-correct' suggested "reptiles"? :lol:
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Nathan

#1390 Post by Nathan » Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:05 pm

monotonehell wrote:I can imagine management would have a problem with square metres of floor space that was dormant for most of the year.
That's the problem with reptiles. Only active when the sun is out and it's nice and warm.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1391 Post by Ben » Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:43 pm

monotonehell wrote:Just curious, what word did you want when your 'auto-correct' suggested "reptiles"? :lol:
retiled :)

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1392 Post by monotonehell » Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:53 pm

Ben wrote:retiled :)
Derr that should have occurred to me.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

HeapsGood
High Rise Poster!
Location: At the Adelaide Airport thankfully now not having to use a Dyson Airblade

#1393 Post by HeapsGood » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:07 pm

I went to Grill'd last Friday, they aren't in rhythm yet. Alcohol display up yet no liquor licence - so can't purchase beer. They screwed up my order, forgot about it, and I had to wait longer then my friend. The burger was pretty good, the chips were coldish in parts. I reckon it will get better as it goes along, obviously.

I could easily see myself going from FancyBurger to BurgerTheory to Grill'd though. They are all pretty good burgers.
*Looks at Dyson Airblade Factory* "I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure"

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1394 Post by Ben » Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:41 pm

Universal Store will be opening in the mall before Christmas. Not too sure of the location, possibly that new glass fronted devlopment opposite the Myer Centre?

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1395 Post by Ben » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:56 am

Wasn't sure where to post this but could be an interesting little development.
Type: Application Assessed on Merit
Application Number: DA/622/2009/1/A
Lodgement Date: 22/10/2014
Description: Variation to previous authorisation - Undertake internal and external alterations and change the use of the first and second floors to residential accommodation providing a total of six (6) apartments - three (3) on each level - VARIATION - To include a lift to service the upper floors - STAGE 1 - STREET AWNING