[COM] Adelaide Oval Redevelopment

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
ml69
Legendary Member!

[COM] Re: Adelaide Oval Redevelopment

#4201 Post by ml69 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:56 pm

ghs wrote:It would be great if Australia play India here in Adelaide in a quarter final.
That would certainly be huge, but it would be even better for Adelaide publicity for India to play another major opponent, say, England.

The atmosphere that would be created by Indian fans and the Barmy Army at the Adelaide Oval would be something to behold!

ghs
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#4202 Post by ghs » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:00 pm

That's unlikely to happen, Australia should make the finals and then they will play here in the QF.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#4203 Post by Brucetiki » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:02 pm

ghs wrote:It would be great if Australia play India here in Adelaide in a quarter final.
Would be awesome, but I think Australia will top Pool A and India will take top 2 in Pool B so won't happen if that happens.

I'd anticipate an Australia v Ireland or Zimbabwe Quarter Final (A1 v B4).

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#4204 Post by Will » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:16 pm

Maximus wrote:Now's probably a good time to remind Will of something he posted in July 2013...

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3335&start=3092

Still think that...? :)
I am flattered that you have such a high opinion of myself that you would remember something I said, 2 years ago, but regardless of the spin that the local media have placed on the game, I still stand on what I said.

I feel that the majority of the billion or so people watching the game had no idea where the game was held. It reminds me of the recent G20 meeting in Brisbane. The local Queensland media thought that it would put Brisbane on the international spotlight, but my understanding is that the global media reported on the politics of the event, rather than the venue.

Sadly, I think the same happened with us. I am confident you could ask most Indians, and they wouldn't have a clue where the game was played, but rather that they beat Pakistan.....

cruel_world00
Donating Member
Donating Member

#4205 Post by cruel_world00 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:19 pm

Will wrote:
Maximus wrote:Now's probably a good time to remind Will of something he posted in July 2013...

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3335&start=3092

Still think that...? :)
I am flattered that you have such a high opinion of myself that you would remember something I said, 2 years ago, but regardless of the spin that the local media have placed on the game, I still stand on what I said.

I feel that the majority of the billion or so people watching the game had no idea where the game was held. It reminds me of the recent G20 meeting in Brisbane. The local Queensland media thought that it would put Brisbane on the international spotlight, but my understanding is that the global media reported on the politics of the event, rather than the venue.

Sadly, I think the same happened with us. I am confident you could ask most Indians, and they wouldn't have a clue where the game was played, but rather that they beat Pakistan.....

You obviously don't have much faith in the Indian cricket loving public. Adelaide Oval is held in high esteem around Australia and the world and people in India would know exactly where that game was played. The devastatingly beautiful sunset helped really tip the event over the edge. Even BuzzFeed Australia got off their usually east coast centric posts and published something on the match. I think disregarding 1.3 billion viewers is small minded. Do I think suddenly Adelaide will be transformed into a tourist mecca? Nah. Do I appreciate the importance of events like this being seen around the world? Definitely.

Maximus
Legendary Member!

#4206 Post by Maximus » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:13 pm

Will wrote:I am flattered that you have such a high opinion of myself that you would remember something I said, 2 years ago, but regardless of the spin that the local media have placed on the game, I still stand on what I said.
I have a long memory (although it took me quite a while to find the post!), but really I was just sh*t-stirring a bit. :) I think you're probably right that a fair chunk of the viewers wouldn't have known and/or cared where the game was played, but at the same time I think many of them definitely would have.

Anyway, the interest in the Ind v Pak game is a bit 'micro' in comparison to the 'macro' point that I was originally making in response to your 2013 post... Which was that, upon any objective analysis, Adelaide clearly has the best World Cup fixture (aside from Melbourne and Sydney) of any Australian city. I certainly still believe that to be the case.
It's = it is; its = everything else.
You're = you are; your = belongs to.
Than = comparative ("bigger than"); then = next.

Pikey
VIP Member
VIP Member

#4207 Post by Pikey » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:26 pm

Having spent time in India last year, I can 100% confirm they know exactly where that game was being played. It was all over the media, and I counted 11 channels dedicated to Cricket. They were talking about their "home base in Australia, Adelaide" all the time. Hell, even when the question of where I came from came up, as soon as I said Adelaide I presented with a barrage of questions!

In my opinion, we got the plum game in this tournament. By a long way. Those sunset pictures even made it to the Today show in the US, and they know three fifths of f*ck all about Cricket.
Walking on over....

| Sensational-Adelaide.com Moderator |

Maximus
Legendary Member!

#4208 Post by Maximus » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:30 pm

It's very much looking like Adelaide Oval's World Cup fixture is even better (i.e. more significant) than anticipated.

While the top three teams in both pools are probably already decided, it's highly likely that Adelaide's two remaining pool games (England v Bangladesh and Pakistan v Ireland) will both directly decide the 4th-placed finisher in each of those pools.

Get thee to the Oval!

ghs

#4209 Post by ghs » Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:04 pm

If Sri Lanka beats the Aussies on sunday we would then see Australia vs South Africa here in Adelaide
in the QF.

Waewick

#4210 Post by Waewick » Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:44 am

Go Ireland! ( no I'm not Irish I just want them to rub ICC nose in it )

ghs

#4211 Post by ghs » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:06 am

AC / DC - November 21

ChillyPhilly

#4212 Post by ChillyPhilly » Fri May 01, 2015 3:51 am

Adelaide United FC vs Brisbane Roar in the first elimination final, 7pm KO tonight. Significantly controversial having at AO.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

[Shuz]

#4213 Post by [Shuz] » Fri May 01, 2015 8:14 am

Why the controversy?
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Maximus
Legendary Member!

#4214 Post by Maximus » Fri May 01, 2015 9:05 am

[Shuz] wrote:Why the controversy?
I think because it's less than 48 hours before the Showdown, which is on Sunday arvo. Crows and Power have been restricted in their training at AO this week and are concerned about the impact to the playing surface (both aesthetic and functional).

See here: http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/crows- ... 7323738127

Storm in a teacup probably, but I can see their point.

dsriggs
Legendary Member!

#4215 Post by dsriggs » Fri May 01, 2015 10:06 am

Also, Adelaide United are on record saying they wanted to play it at Hindmarsh.