[U/C] M2 North-South Motorway

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
claybro
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[U/C] Re: News & Discussion: South Road / North-South Corri

#2101 Post by claybro » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:53 pm

how good is he wrote:While you hope commonsense would prevail the next group of shops after Pym St says renovation starting soon or similar. There has also been a house/homette recentky sold along here which you hope the highways dept bought (but honestly doubt it as they prob don't have money in their budget allocated yet anyway).
This situation has prevailed along the length of the South road corridor for years now. Just to confirm, despite publicly playing political ducks and drakes, the alignment of the North/South Motorway/expressway/freeway, or whatever they are calling it now has been locked in since before the Superway was started. It was known by various government agencies, motoring groups, transport interests etc. Whole industrial zones, transport companies, heavy industry has located and planned to be within its proximity. Unfortunately, the various stages are kept under wraps, or unplanned and un-reserved until the election cycles both federally and state dictate that latest breathless announcement. The cost of planning and land acquisition is miniscule in the scheme of these stages, and should be allowed for in the annual budget. If anything is done to upgrade the strip of shops between Torrens and Regency road, only for the government to then be held to pay a premium for improved property, then they only have themselves to blame and should be held accountable. The property owners know this and in many cases are playing the system.
On a positive note, I was in Adelaide last week and cannot believe the amount of work and speed of progress so far. The planning of the whole worksite, including traffic management is truly impressive and bodes well for the remainder of the difficult sections of the corridor. Rather than a blight on the landscape, I believe this project will vastly improve the appearance and function of those suburbs adjacent, and remove some of the traffic from the rat run of Regency/ Holbrooks/ Marion.

drsmith
Legendary Member!

[U/C] Re: News & Discussion: South Road / North-South Corri

#2102 Post by drsmith » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:02 pm

Bad cement found its way into the T2T and Darlington projects in early April,

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-04-25/c ... ct/8470328
The construction union raised concerns last week that major projects had used contaminated materials from Adelaide Brighton Cement.

Transport and Infrastructure Minister Stephen Mullighan has now confirmed a reduced quality binding agent was used in some construction work for the Torrens-to-Torrens and Darlington projects between April 7 and 10.

Both projects involve widening South Road, which dissects Adelaide from north to south, and building new bridges across it.

"There were some pourings on the Torrens-to-Torrens project which early inspections indicate were poured from that batch," Mr Mullighan said.

"We are not so much concerned about those pourings as we are some pourings that were made on the Darlington project, at the other end of South Road, just near Flinders University.

]The Minister said remediation work on the Darlington project would involve adding more footings.

"It's most likely that we'll have to pour perhaps up to four extra piles just in the vicinity of those couple of piles that were poured from this material," he said.

Mr Mullighan said the overall impact would not be significant for the roadworks.

"It's not a huge impact, it's a relatively simple fix for the project team," he said.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

[U/C] Re: News & Discussion: South Road / North-South Corridor

#2103 Post by how good is he » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:07 pm

We need bi-lateral confirmation whoever the party in is that they will support the completion of this asap. At best I think it can happen by 2022 but more likely will take another 10 -15 years from that. It's crazy there is no publicity pushing for the next stage to be released and begin when this project finishes next year. The next stage should be known and funding in place (or at least sought now.) Once this momentum stops it could take years to start up again.

SouthAussie94
Legendary Member!

#2104 Post by SouthAussie94 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:15 pm

how good is he wrote:We need bi-lateral confirmation whoever the party in is that they will support the completion of this asap. At best I think it can happen by 2022 but more likely will take another 10 -15 years from that. It's crazy there is no publicity pushing for the next stage to be released and begin when this project finishes next year. The next stage should be known and funding in place (or at least sought now.) Once this momentum stops it could take years to start up again.
The Federal Budget comes out in just under a fortnight, hopefully there's an announcement of some kind in there..
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation

drsmith
Legendary Member!

#2105 Post by drsmith » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:49 pm

I reckon next will be Pym St to Torrens Road to connect T2T to the Superway due to ease and cost relative to the other sections and to complete the northern section of the expressway.

I'll cross my fingers for the budget.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#2106 Post by rev » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:20 pm

It's guaranteed that there will be an announcement made between the federal budget and next years state election. The feds are struggling in the opinion polls and the state government wants to be re-elected and keep their streak going so rest assured work will continue on the north-south corridor because it's easy political points for both feds and state.
I've got a suspicion that they will do two stages again, Pym to Superway, and T2T to whatever.

ChillyPhilly

#2107 Post by ChillyPhilly » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:01 pm

Based on the Scoping Report for the Corridor, the highest priorities are sections known as R4 and R5. Click here for the Scoping Report. That said, the section between Pym Street and Regency Road, known as R1, is rated as Low-Medium priority.

Specifically, R4 is the stretch between the Torrens River (or more specifically, the southern extent of T2T) and just south of Sir Donald Bradman Drive. This stretch is proposed to include two short tunnels beneath Henley Beach Road and Sir Donald Bradman Drive, with the Corridor being a trench like T2T. Also proposed is a new elevated crossing over the River Torrens, but at-grade remains an option.

R5 is the section between Sir Donald Bradman Drive and south of the tram overpass over South Road. Proposed is an elevated road, like the completed Motorway, as most properties along this stretch are industrial and commercial.

Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

claybro

#2108 Post by claybro » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:41 pm

rev wrote:It's guaranteed that there will be an announcement made between the federal budget and next years state election. The feds are struggling in the opinion polls and the state government wants to be re-elected and keep their streak going so rest assured work will continue on the north-south corridor because it's easy political points for both feds and state.
I've got a suspicion that they will do two stages again, Pym to Superway, and T2T to whatever.
We've been here before though. Lib feds and Lab state. Sure,they will announce some federal funding, but they will aim it specifically to get the most votes in their relevant federal seat, the ste-different ideas, looking after their own marginal seats. The state government has been drip feeding this project for decades now (since Emerson overpass), allowing both sides of politics at state and federal level play us all. Funding alone has never stopped this corridor being at least planned and reserved, only the construction phase has required massive funds allocated. The rest has just been politics.

drsmith
Legendary Member!

#2109 Post by drsmith » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:25 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:Based on the Scoping Report for the Corridor, the highest priorities are sections known as R4 and R5. Click here for the Scoping Report. That said, the section between Pym Street and Regency Road, known as R1, is rated as Low-Medium priority.
Reviewing the cost estimates of page 44, I note the average cost estimated for sections 4 and 5 are each over $1bn. With R2 being done under the expanded scope of T2T (P59), the cost of R1 is well under $500m and could be as little as $200m. R3 I note also averages $253m.

It's hard to imagine these cost relativities not being a factor when governments are deciding the order of funding for the individual sections.

ChillyPhilly

#2110 Post by ChillyPhilly » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:50 pm

drsmith wrote:
ChillyPhilly wrote:Based on the Scoping Report for the Corridor, the highest priorities are sections known as R4 and R5. Click here for the Scoping Report. That said, the section between Pym Street and Regency Road, known as R1, is rated as Low-Medium priority.
Reviewing the cost estimates of page 44, I note the average cost estimated for sections 4 and 5 are each over $1bn. With R2 being done under the expanded scope of T2T (P59), the cost of R1 is well under $500m and could be as little as $200m. R3 I note also averages $253m.

It's hard to imagine these cost relativities not being a factor when governments are deciding the order of funding for the individual sections.
I agree with you completely. If we take a look at this...

Let's say best case scenario is we get R1 for $187 million and R3 for $312 million. For a total of $479 million, what are the odds that we could see a State and Federal matched funds deal?

Apart from these two sections, R4/R5 should be the dream.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

SBD

#2111 Post by SBD » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:31 am

Current major infrastructure builds are:
  • hospital virtually finished
  • O-Bahn tunnel expected completion late 2017
  • Torrens to Torrens expected completion late 2018
  • Darlington expected late 2018
  • Northern Connector expected completion late 2019
Candidate replacements to avoid a civil engineering "valley of death" include
  • New WCH
  • Regency Road overpass (R1)
  • Torrens to SDBD (R4)
  • SDBD to Tram (R5)
  • Emerson area (R6)
  • R7/8 (as part of 8 is in the Darlington extension)
  • Oaklands Crossing
  • Truro bypass
  • state Liberal proposed Adelaide bypass east of the ranges
  • anything shiny we haven't thought of
  • Electrifying Gawler railway
  • Extended trams
I'd guess either Oaklands or Emerson (or both) might be announced in the state budget, to take up after O-Bahn.

Federal budget might either just earmark money as "north south corridor" and let the state do the specifics, or to start to fund a Truro bypass. That can be spun to be extending the non-stop north-south corridor, starting the eastern bypass, or keeping Truro kiddies safe from heavy transport as it's on the main route between Adelaide and Sydney, and now also the Loxton and Alawoona silos to Port Adelaide since the rail stopped. The state has already announced heavier vehicle limits through Loxton. It also avoids the hilly and twisty bit the other side of Truro, improving freight efficiency.

The state will keep enough in its war chest to announce one of the bigger projects in the lead up to the election, ready to extend either Darlington or T2T. That might include the Gawler railway and some trams too, as the electorate boundaries have moved a lot, and they don't know which seats they'll hold.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#2112 Post by Goodsy » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:43 am

SBD wrote:Current major infrastructure builds are:
  • hospital virtually finished
  • O-Bahn tunnel expected completion late 2017
  • Torrens to Torrens expected completion late 2018
  • Darlington expected late 2018
  • Northern Connector expected completion late 2019
Candidate replacements to avoid a civil engineering "valley of death" include
  • New WCH
  • Regency Road overpass (R1)
  • Torrens to SDBD (R4)
  • SDBD to Tram (R5)
  • Emerson area (R6)
  • R7/8 (as part of 8 is in the Darlington extension)
  • Oaklands Crossing
  • Truro bypass
  • state Liberal proposed Adelaide bypass east of the ranges
  • anything shiny we haven't thought of
  • Electrifying Gawler railway
  • Extended trams
I'd guess either Oaklands or Emerson (or both) might be announced in the state budget, to take up after O-Bahn.

Federal budget might either just earmark money as "north south corridor" and let the state do the specifics, or to start to fund a Truro bypass. That can be spun to be extending the non-stop north-south corridor, starting the eastern bypass, or keeping Truro kiddies safe from heavy transport as it's on the main route between Adelaide and Sydney, and now also the Loxton and Alawoona silos to Port Adelaide since the rail stopped. The state has already announced heavier vehicle limits through Loxton. It also avoids the hilly and twisty bit the other side of Truro, improving freight efficiency.

The state will keep enough in its war chest to announce one of the bigger projects in the lead up to the election, ready to extend either Darlington or T2T. That might include the Gawler railway and some trams too, as the electorate boundaries have moved a lot, and they don't know which seats they'll hold.
add Port Wakefield bypass to that list

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#2113 Post by rev » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:33 pm

Can we not start with the "valley of death" nonsense?
The federal government will likely focus on infrastructure this budget, to boost economic activity and jobs(and their ratings).
The state government will for sure announce something in the lead up to the next state election.

SBD

#2114 Post by SBD » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:23 pm

rev wrote:Can we not start with the "valley of death" nonsense?
The federal government will likely focus on infrastructure this budget, to boost economic activity and jobs(and their ratings).
The state government will for sure announce something in the lead up to the next state election.
I agree it is a stupid term, but politically, the media will use it if it looks like there will be mass layoffs from completed projects with nothing new to replace them.

RayRichards
High Rise Poster!

#2115 Post by RayRichards » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:43 am

Specifically, R4 is the stretch between the Torrens River (or more specifically, the southern extent of T2T) and just south of Sir Donald Bradman Drive. This stretch is proposed to include two short tunnels beneath Henley Beach Road and Sir Donald Bradman Drive, with the Corridor being a trench like T2T. Also proposed is a new elevated crossing over the River Torrens, but at-grade remains an option.

R5 is the section between Sir Donald Bradman Drive and south of the tram overpass over South Road. Proposed is an elevated road, like the completed Motorway, as most properties along this stretch are industrial and commercial.

Interesting charts there. When you think about it, the project isn't exactly huge and will easily be done within a decent time frame as we have had now two examples of the works being done, namely the overpass method and now the trenches being done at present and really not a word of public outcry of aesthetics affected or major interruptions to locals.

Regarding the discussion in the next preferred sections of the motorway, I suggest R1 (Pym to Superway) so to 'tie up the obvious loose ends, but also more importantly to get both the new Islington housing estate cracking, the large amount of land corner of Days and Regency developed and to finally get the local parks/croydon/hindmarsh residents closure of the works and to look onwards in their communities.

Concurrently works should continue from Darlington extension to Anzac hwy in gradual sections. R5 should be done second to last then R4, to give more than enough time for potential disputes; as the project will, lets face it cause some heritage destruction through Thebarton and Mile End, and realistically the residents most vocal would either be living down victor way, in a residents home or pushing up daises by the time these projects will start.

R8 to R6 should be overpass akin to the Superway, R5 and R4 should be trench, like the current Torrens to Torrens, Nothing is set in concrete yet (pardon the pun) so could be change yet, In my experience South Road from West Thebarton road to James Congdon has always been good. Even when I was foreman with the roads, it was always the port/grange road sections with the daws/cross sections that had the most traffic hold ups.

Personally I think the project is going well, at least we have a long term plan to get this project finished.

Regards.
Ray.