[COM] City Central 8 | 72m | 20lvls | office

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
mic
Sen-Rookie-Sational

[COM] Re: #Proposed: City Central Tower 8 17 Levels

#76 Post by mic » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:03 am

Totally agree that the western wall should not be there at all if it fronts onto a street. Rather than complaining, a petition should be created or strongly written letters should be sent to the firm or the ACC to highlight the problems that should be fixed to improve the overall design of the building. Look at how the st.kilda triangle got downscaled from a bunch of people voicing their opinion. Obviously this is slightly differetn but if people got together and informed someone, just maybe the design will be altered. :2cents:

ynotsfables
High Rise Poster!

#77 Post by ynotsfables » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:54 pm

Food for thought , imagine the whole entire block looking like one building ?

frank1
Donating Member
Donating Member

#78 Post by frank1 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:17 pm

If they are dead set on that ugly western blank wall, at least they could do a really nice paint job. Is their something wrong with making a glass facade on all sides of the building?. It's like a new trend to leave an exposed blank wall on one side (cheap bastards).

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#79 Post by Will » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:52 pm

Pants wrote:Sorry Pikes, I'm with Urban SG.

On the basis of the 3 buildings they've given us so far, the whole development is going to be a cluster of mid-rise, slightly above average buildings that all look the same. I've heard of not making your Architects do much work and getting some discount for buying in bulk, but enough of the f**king green glass boxes with semi-interesting pods already.
:
I think you are onto something Pants. This looks familiar! (It's also by Woods Bagot :shock: )

(The building is in Canberra)

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#80 Post by AtD » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:29 pm

That building is finished now, Will, and it looks a lot nicer than the CC buildings IMO. It houses the Department of Something Something.

frank1
Donating Member
Donating Member

#81 Post by frank1 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:28 pm

AtD, you live in Canberra right? What's the building industry like there. Do they have same problem with height restrictions like Adelaide. Does the CBD have tall buildings (never been to Canberra).
The photos you post give me the impression that the city is really modern..........fill me in plz :oops: l

mslsa
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#82 Post by mslsa » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:34 pm

the city central development, whilst not incorporating landmark or iconic tall buildings, will transform Adelaide's CBD upon completion. It marks the movement to a more centralised inner CBD core centred around Victoria square, which in my opinion is a good move. the development will incorporate high rise commercial, residential, high end hotel and retail. the landmark tower project is earmarked for currie street, however there is more high rise development on the drawing board....

to the comment below.......the western wall BTW is meant to reduce peak heat load by facing the core on that side for T1, hence this design approach. the building would not achieve its high sustainability credentials otherwise. its not always about the architecture. form must meet with function.
In addition glazed buildings permit natural daylight entering reducing energy for lighting systems, providing occupants with improved indoor environmental quality

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#83 Post by AtD » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:13 pm

frank1 wrote:AtD, you live in Canberra right? What's the building industry like there. Do they have same problem with height restrictions like Adelaide. Does the CBD have tall buildings (never been to Canberra).
The photos you post give me the impression that the city is really modern..........fill me in plz :oops: l
To keep this thread on topic:
http://www.sensational-adelaide.com/for ... =18&t=1461

UrbanSG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#84 Post by UrbanSG » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:30 pm

Mslsa it sounds like you are working on this development?

Do you fail to see what is happening with the SA Water building development? It will be a 6-star rated building (higher rating than any City Central buildings) yet instead of a featureless wall abutting a street on its western elevation they are using a second wall of glass to shield the intense western sun and provide air flow past this wall of glazing to reduce heat. The result is an interesting western elevation. At the moment I can't bare to look at CC1's western wall, worst feature of the building.

The City Central development has made mega-bucks off Adelaide, Both CC1 and CC2 sold for huge prices. CC2 was a record per square metre! We deserve a decent tower not this. If CC8 has to have the western wall then at least break it up with patterns like JPE architects have done with the southern King William Street projects. Or do what is happening over in Las Vegas a lot, where the cores of buildings which abut the edge of a building are also covered in glass.

All the recent office developments in Adelaide have these terrible featureless core walls. Santos HQ is a bad offender on its northern elevation. SA Water is the only building so far to show you can have glass on all sides and achieve a higher green rating than all the other buildings.

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#85 Post by jk1237 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:16 pm

crikeys, its not that bad everyone. 3 out of 4 sides being glass is good enough for me.

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#86 Post by Omicron » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:45 am

jk1237 wrote:crikeys, its not that bad everyone. 3 out of 4 sides being glass is good enough for me.
Unfortunately, 'not that bad' really isn't the sort of effort I'd expect from a world-famous architectural studio. Their solution to reduce peak heat load is nothing more than a blank wall? Their solution to increasing natural light is the exact same approach used on CC1 and CC2? Their approach to a multi-building complex is a cluster of buildings that all look the same?

Complementary development is by no means just building the same thing over and over again; nor is sustainable development the same solutions used repeatedly. As many have pointed out, look at how the SA Water building has used different ideas for glass facades to overcome sustainability issues, and a far more aesthetically-pleasing yet fundamentally simple method of disguising its core. Without SA Water we may not have been so harsh in our criticisms, but the fact remains that a building is to exist which does a better job of what City Central seeks.

One hopes that the T4 and T7 buildings shown on the CC master-plan will do justice to their absolute prime positions within the entire development.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#87 Post by Will » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:04 am

AtD wrote:That building is finished now, Will, and it looks a lot nicer than the CC buildings IMO. It houses the Department of Something Something.

Definately! At-least its not a box! I was just trying to show that they have used the same type of green glass. It must be mass produced or something.

Brando
Donating Member
Donating Member

#88 Post by Brando » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:13 am

Will wrote: Definately! At-least its not a box! I was just trying to show that they have used the same type of green glass. It must be mass produced or something.
I think we can find a lot more similarities other than the green glass.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#89 Post by Ben » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:59 pm

This is what i would like built on corner of Franklin and benthem streets encampassing the small heritage building on the corner...

55 levels 218m

urban
Legendary Member!

#90 Post by urban » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:18 pm

I'd have to disagree with you there Ben. While the tower is a slick well designed effort the incorporation of the heritage building looks ridiculous. All buildings worth keeping deserve their own space not some lazy tokenistic keeping of a facade element