08/09 state budget announcements

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: 08/09 state budget announcements

#106 Post by Ho Really » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:02 pm

Will wrote:You have contradicted yourself in your flawed arguement. In the first half of your arguement you state "Why has it taken until now for Rann and his party of clowns to finally come up with something? "
Public pressure!
but you end your arguement complaining about the extra "STATE ECONOMIC DEBT"

The bottom half of your post explains why it took Rann and his 'clowns' until now to announce the electrification of the rail system. They did not do it before because we had a weaker economy and simply could not afford it. They announced it this year, because as a state we are now in a position to afford it. Before, such spending would have been irresponsible.
That's incorrect. SA has had a AAA rating for several years now, and Kevin Foley has been boasting about it. This government could have easily done this earlier, in their first term. Interest rates are now much higher (not to include inflation, etc.). We may have a mining boom coming on, but it is not here yet and there are always uncertainties with the global economy, especially with energy costs going up all the time. Going into debt for infrastructure is not always bad, however they need to get things right and not waste money on projects we do not need (in some cases not giving SA a return).

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

Will409
Legendary Member!

#107 Post by Will409 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:20 pm

Just diverting attention from the debt issue for a moment, MHS on ch10 was again tooting his horn tonight saying that the budget was his idea and saying he should have some of the credit.

:wank:
Image LINK TO YOUTUBE PROFILE.

Ho Really

#108 Post by Ho Really » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:36 pm

Will409 wrote:Just diverting attention from the debt issue for a moment, MHS on ch10 was again tooting his horn tonight saying that the budget was his idea and saying he should have some of the credit.
Let's wait to pass judgment after his budget reply.

Cheers

Pistol
Legendary Member!

#109 Post by Pistol » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:12 pm

I might have to change my signature to the same as Shuz's.

Rann 2002 - 2018
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken

PhilH
Gold-Member ;)

#110 Post by PhilH » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:26 pm

I think that, if anyone other than the govt deserves credit for some of the transport initiatives, it is the Port Adelaide Enfield Council, who proposed the Semaphore and West Lakes tram links early last year (so put that in your pipe and smoke it, MHS!)

Did anyone notice that the graphic on page 4 of today's Tiser had a 27-minute travel time for West Lakes to City? Sounds to me like that would be for stopping all stations between Woodville and the City, whereas I don't see much need to duplicate the stopping service on the Grange branch. More sensible would be to run from West Lakes to Albert Park and Woodville, then express to Bowden/Ent Cent, then to city, which probably wouldn't take more than 20 minutes tops, and certainly would compare favourably with the current 155/156/157 bus route, timetabled at 30 minutes or so, (but frequently takes longer, due to late running - although I moved out of the area before the January changes, so it might have improved). Add in a 15-minute daytime frequency, and I think it would be an attractive proposition to many in the outer north-west. Passengers between Bowden and Woodville could just change at Woodville or Albert Park to access West Lakes.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#111 Post by Norman » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:32 pm

I'm thinking the 155, 156 and 157 will be severely cut back, and the 157X will be removed.

PhilH
Gold-Member ;)

#112 Post by PhilH » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:36 pm

Norman wrote:I'm thinking the 155, 156 and 157 will be severely cut back, and the 157X will be removed.
155 and 157X could certainly be removed entirely, 156 and 157 to be cut back to feed from their respective outer termini into West Lakes.

PhilH
Gold-Member ;)

#113 Post by PhilH » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:41 pm

Actually, 156 & 157 could be feeders in two directions - 156 would also feed into Port Adelaide, and 157 into Semaphore and Largs/Largs North stations with a slight route modification.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#114 Post by Norman » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:42 pm

PhilH wrote:
Norman wrote:I'm thinking the 155, 156 and 157 will be severely cut back, and the 157X will be removed.
155 and 157X could certainly be removed entirely, 156 and 157 to be cut back to feed from their respective outer termini into West Lakes.
I doubt that, they certainly would want to keep Port Road from WLB to the City a Go Zone. Currently, the 150 runs on a 30 minute frequency, with 157 making up the rest of the Go Zone requirements (155 in peak when 157 goes express).

And the 156 runs only 3 or 4 times a day.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#115 Post by Wayno » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:50 pm

:lol: you guys can turn any thread into a deep discussion on PT :lol:
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#116 Post by Norman » Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:17 pm

Haha, that ain't deep. :lol:

Ho Really

#117 Post by Ho Really » Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:25 pm

PhilH wrote:I think that, if anyone other than the govt deserves credit for some of the transport initiatives, it is the Port Adelaide Enfield Council, who proposed the Semaphore and West Lakes tram links early last year (so put that in your pipe and smoke it, MHS!)...
Suggestions of public transport to West Lakes have been around a long time, so it's not that council's, this government's or the opposition's idea. I would give the Port Adelaide Enfield Council credit for lobbying (because it suits them). As for MHS, he may have had his own ideas at some stage, we don't know when though.

Cheers

adam73837
High Rise Poster!
Location: The wilderness being sustained by nutrients in the air and powering my laptop with positive energy

#118 Post by adam73837 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:12 pm

On a positive note, I'm generally pleased with the budget, what with all the transport upgrades and stuff.
However I most definitely see the point of many people on this forum as well as people that were commenting on it in the Advertiser. Why has it taken this long for Media Mike and Clowning Kevin to finally come up with a decent transport and infastructure plan? Yes, there's the argument that now we've got the money, however before MHS released his plan late last year, the government was mainly focusing on the 'Marj' and not many other larger things, so I don't think that this new fantstic budget is only because of the 'sudden' money...
I also totally agree with Howie or Bulldozer or whoever said it (please excuse me for not remembering), regarding the money that we could save from not 'cleaning up the edges' of AAMI Stadium and selling of the land and not extending the tramline to it. We could build a city stadium with the money that we save from it (and with possibly a bit of cash from the Federal Government). And (please excuse for not remebering who said it) as for the issue concerning West Lakes deserving a tramline, there are areas in SA with more potential (such as Marion, TTP, Elizabeth, Noarlunga -yes I know just received an upgrade...), and even if people were to catch it to go to the beach, the 'soon-to-be-upgraded' Grange line is just down the road and rather than spending millions on a tramline extension, people can use the buses that are around the area that go to West Lakes Mall.
As for MHS preferring to concentrate on North and South, I understand and accept his intentions, but in the same breath I also believe that putting a tramline to Port Adelaide and Semaphore is a good idea for both commuters and tourists. However the Seaford/ Aldinga extension is still a good idea and I believe that that should be addressed by both the Opposition AND the Government.
As for the O-Bahn, it said in the paper that they are going to study buses going into the CBD from the O-Bahn. Yes, I know it would cost a bit, but if we were to create a tunnel underneath the parklands (I can hear Jim Daly and his Adelaide Parklands Preservation Association whinging... :D :evil: ) to the current RAH site (or better still, Parliament House) where we to create an interchange for buses, it would allow the buses to bypass (obviously) that Hackney Road, Botanic Gardens, what have you route. But say we were to leave that 'getting to the CBD' issue alone, it would be an idea to extend the O-Bahn to Golden Grove where it could potentially be extended to Salisbury (like the Modbury Freeway of the MATS Plan...). Although the Salisbury part probably won't happen, but still it would make sense to go to Golden Grove.
I take back many of the things I said before 2010; particularly my anti-Rann rants. While I still maintain some of said opinions, I feel I could have been less arrogant. I also apologise to people I offended; while knowing I can't fully take much back. :)

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#119 Post by Wayno » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:12 pm

Is it just me, or have the Southern suburbs been neglected in this budget? In fact been neglected for a looong time! Appears the "worlds longest one way road" will hold its claim to fame for many more years...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Will409
Legendary Member!

#120 Post by Will409 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:27 pm

Money in the State Budget has been provided for the purchase of a land corrider from Seaford to Aldinga which in turns connects with a prexisting land corridor held under the DTEI which runs from Noarlunga Centre interchange to Seaford. The result is that an extension of the rail line from Noarlunga Centre to Aldinga can be made possible without having to resume land just before construction. I read somewhere in amongst all the budget papers that the land is timetabled for purchase by 2012. If I can find a link the page which mentions the timetable, I will post it here.

EDIT: I have in my possession a staff notice issued by TransAdelaide which I aquired via a source. On page two, it states:
TransAdelaide Staff Notice - Issued 5/6/2008 wrote: - purchase of land to secure a corridor from Seaford to Aldinga (Government already owns the Noarlunga to Seaford land).
Image LINK TO YOUTUBE PROFILE.