News & Discussion: Squares and Parklands

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Just build it
High Rise Poster!

Re: Parklands to be Heritage Listed

#91 Post by Just build it » Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:27 pm

Good. They've somehow survived 150+ years largely intact. If this means they'll survive until some future generation has the foresight to turn them into something wonderful then great. Just a pity that current generations probably won't ever see it.

The west parklands are the biggest problem. There's an increasing number of people living around the borders of the cemetery in tents and under trees. I suspect it's where those on 'walkabout' to the city meet and stay also. They're not exactly a welcoming bunch and it's turned into pretty much a danger zone.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#92 Post by rev » Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:51 pm

This is the dumbest thing I've heard in a while.
Heritage listing dead grass and what is otherwise unattractive, under utilized or unused park land? WHAT THE??!!

Theres a few reserves near my house, they are far more attractive, lets heritage list them too!

Looks like that back-water image will stick around a while longer....and to think this is coming from the federal government.
I guess Garrett needs to score some brownie points with the green camp after being seen as a sell out..

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#93 Post by jk1237 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:58 pm

I really dont have a problem with this. I think its a good idea. It wont make a scrap of difference, except make them sound more important and promote interest, so why not. I just can not believe the feedback on Adelaide Now. Oh my god, some of the comments, get a life, its really not a major issue at all.
I ride my bike through the parklands all the time, and most sections are nice, a few are not. If we let the parts that aren't used much go brown, who cares, we dont have the Canadian Rockies climate. Anyway in a couple years time, the pipeline will make them lush green even in the height of summer.

omada
Donating Member
Donating Member

#94 Post by omada » Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:04 pm

“From today the Adelaide Parklands and City Layout will be afforded the highest protection under the Australian Government’s Environment Protection and Biodiversity Act," Mr Garrett said.
Lol biodoversity act, biodiversity in adelaide's parklands is derived from the propensity of homeless people that frequent the area :wink:

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#95 Post by crawf » Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:27 pm

I think its a good idea to include the Adelaide City/North Adelaide layout, because the city is very well planned out. Wish I could say the same for the rest of Adelaide :?

The parklands will be much better once this new pipeline is constructed.

ynotsfables
High Rise Poster!

#96 Post by ynotsfables » Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:46 pm

I guess our parklands are what the harbour is to Sydney, I think its a good idea.
* Its uniquely Adelaide.
* doesnt' mean we cant improve them in any way.
* Our city looks nice with a boarder of green around it.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#97 Post by Wayno » Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:56 pm

i don't have a problem with this, and i doubt it will preclude "temporary events" such as the clipsal race, unearthly delights festival, etc from continuing. However, heritage listing WILL undoubtedly act as a catalyst for certain community groups to protest against such events (for various selfish, *ahem*, i mean moral reasons) and cause delay/angst to the more proactive corners of the state govt and adelaide city council.

I also foresee legal action being launched against the marj hospital (or a stadium/whatever) being constructed on the railyards, *ahem* parklands. A "Southbank Torrens Precinct" might attract similar neagtive action...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Just build it
High Rise Poster!

#98 Post by Just build it » Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:59 pm

I'd imagine the parklands are on the state heritage list anyway and probably have been for many years. This just sounds like a national recognition. No extra power to the NIMBY's if that's the case.

skyliner
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#99 Post by skyliner » Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:24 pm

I'm no nimby, but I think this is a great idea because -
1. Even thought full utilization and greening is not the case at the moment, think of the future in this decision as well. This city WILL grow.
2. Nearly every western city (over 1m) is short of open space near the CBD - result - a ring of slums + congestion from resultant narrow roads.
3. AS I understand the parklands are not forbidden territory for alteration. Much better roads to CBD as a result.But I would'nt mind it barring the Marj.
4. Much better outlook for resi functions near city.
However, in my outlook I recognise Wayno's comments.Almost everything has pros and cons to the point art hand.
Wayno wrote:i don't have a problem with this, and i doubt it will preclude "temporary events" such as the clipsal race, unearthly delights festival, etc from continuing. However, heritage listing WILL undoubtedly act as a catalyst for certain community groups to protest against such events (for various selfish, *ahem*, i mean moral reasons) and cause delay/angst to the more proactive corners of the state govt and adelaide city council.

I also foresee legal action being launched against the marj hospital (or a stadium/whatever) being constructed on the railyards, *ahem* parklands. A "Southbank Torrens Precinct" might attract similar neagtive action...
ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE
Jack.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#100 Post by AtD » Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:51 pm

The parklands will always be brown and underutilised until the surrounding councils are required to contribute funding. Until then, there will always be 'free riders' from the surrounds of the ACC - councils that benefit from higher property values (and thus higher rates) but so far have refused to fund anything.

Perhaps there could be a multi-council trustee arrangement, with the ACC providing 50% of funding and the rest providing funding based on the length of boundary they share. Just a thought.

fasterthanlids
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#101 Post by fasterthanlids » Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:42 am

I remember looking over some research at uni that basically concluded that the only form of heritage listing that would truly preclude development in the parklands would be world heritage listing. The way that the development and planning acts overlap the national heritage register laws effectively put an extra barrier for developers and planners to step over, without actually really effecting individual developments.

In this case, given the city layout and the parklands ring have been heritage listed, providing developments in the parklands still retain the character of the place, that is continuing to provide public amenity, green space and attractive vistas, most of the serious developments discussed here can probably still go ahead. Wayno is right, there may be legal action taken to injuct various aspects of developments (say the Marj or Riverside Rejuvenation) but long-term, it is doubtful these objections won't be sidestepped in the manner planners and developers always sidestep heritage matters. Storm in a brown teacup for developers here!

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#102 Post by SRW » Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:47 pm

This is great news for Adelaide. It's of minimal impact now perhaps, but the heritage listing will be a useful marketing tool when the parklands are actually maintained to an attractive standard. By the by, it's naïveté to suggest that their attractiveness be relevant to the listing itself -- this is based on the merit of the city's layout on its own. Just because they are not wholly maintained today does not preclude them for being so in the future.
The parklands will always be brown and underutilised until the surrounding councils are required to contribute funding. Until then, there will always be 'free riders' from the surrounds of the ACC - councils that benefit from higher property values (and thus higher rates) but so far have refused to fund anything.

Perhaps there could be a multi-council trustee arrangement, with the ACC providing 50% of funding and the rest providing funding based on the length of boundary they share. Just a thought.
Agreed. I like your funding proposition too, though I think there's a place for input from the State Government.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#103 Post by Wayno » Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:48 pm

SRW wrote:Agreed. I like your funding proposition too, though I think there's a place for input from the State Government.
perhaps national heritage listing means we can get federal funding too?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

PhilH
Gold-Member ;)

#104 Post by PhilH » Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:16 pm

Article on Adelaide Now this morning - last paragraph states that North Terrace cultural precinct and railyards are not included in the heritage listing.

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/stor ... 01,00.html

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#105 Post by Wayno » Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:11 pm

PhilH wrote:Article on Adelaide Now this morning - last paragraph states that North Terrace cultural precinct and railyards are not included in the heritage listing.

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/stor ... 01,00.html
the article also quotes Harbo wanting to push for world heritage listing...