[COM] 115 King William Street | 91m | 26lvls | Office

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Stubbo
Gold-Member ;)

[COM] Re: PRO: 115 King William St | 86M | 25lvls | Office

#151 Post by Stubbo » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:04 pm

wilkiebarkid wrote:
Nathan wrote:
wilkiebarkid wrote:The ACC has voted NO to this one (too tall for the location and doesn't compliment surrounding heritage buildings!), however it doesn't rest with them as it is more than $10m.
Doesn't complement the surrounding heritage buildings? Like what, the Adam Internet building?? :roll:
We are fortunate that the ACC decision doesn't count for anything. This building would be great for KWS. I guess it will be the tallest building in the street, and nicely standing out amongst the 15-18 story wall.
I had to go to the Adam Internet Building a while back, geez it is ugly.... Im glad that this proposal does not compliment the surrounding heritage buildings, it looks good!!!

I agree that it will look great compared to most of the 18 story buildings

skyliner
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#152 Post by skyliner » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:32 pm

Just as well the ACC does not rule the deal,on this one. Seems to me it is OK with height limits (see diagrams a couple of pages back) so they come from another angle. Love the breakaway from the typical 18 floor barrier so often seen. V strong presernce in KWS.

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE
Jack.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#153 Post by crawf » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:31 pm

I hope its rejected, nothing great about this project at all.

We don't need anymore blankwalls along King William Street.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#154 Post by AtD » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:15 pm

I disagree and I hope it is approved. You can't avoid blank walls unless you have lower density or lower height.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#155 Post by SRW » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:45 pm

AtD wrote:You can't avoid blank walls unless you have lower density or lower height.
Well now, that's not really true.
Keep Adelaide Weird

activ8ed
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#156 Post by activ8ed » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:58 pm

I too hope it's rejected, it's ugly and the council are right in saying it doesn't conform with the surrounding environment. The height needs to be much shorter also - in consistency with the remainder of KWS. I'd rather KWS look like one of the grand boulevards of Paris with it's consistent height and density than have ugly blank walled sticks here and there.

iTouch
Legendary Member!

#157 Post by iTouch » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:44 pm

activ8ed wrote:I too hope it's rejected, it's ugly and the council are right in saying it doesn't conform with the surrounding environment. The height needs to be much shorter also - in consistency with the remainder of KWS. I'd rather KWS look like one of the grand boulevards of Paris with it's consistent height and density than have ugly blank walled sticks here and there.
Uhh isn't that what North Terrace is meant to be?
Don't burn the Adelaide Parkland (preservation society)

activ8ed
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#158 Post by activ8ed » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:51 pm

North Terrace isn't flanked on either side by high-rises (for the most part of its length). Anyways, who said we can't have two great boulevards?

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#159 Post by Will » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:08 am

This building joins a long list of buildings which were reccomended for approval by the planners of the ACC, and which were rejected by the anti-development DAP.

Thankfully, the final say rests with the pro-future DAC.

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#160 Post by mattblack » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:34 am

activ8ed wrote:
I'd rather KWS look like one of the grand boulevards of Paris with it's consistent height and density than have ugly blank walled sticks here and there.
you kidding? Now Nth tce I can appreciate, really is a great cultural magnet but KWS? Not a hope in hell.

activ8ed
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#161 Post by activ8ed » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:27 am

Sorry for sidetracking the thread a little; Also, has any concerns been raised about the buildings shadow impact on Adelaide Town Hall from the afternoon sun? However, I think CC2 and Adam Internet have already set a precedent, it's just I'd hate to see one of our beautiful landmarks being enveloped in the dark all time, especially if there is something we can do to salvage the possibility of further impact.

mgb
High Rise Poster!

#162 Post by mgb » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:54 am

activ8ed wrote:Sorry for sidetracking the thread a little; Also, has any concerns been raised about the buildings shadow impact on Adelaide Town Hall from the afternoon sun? However, I think CC2 and Adam Internet have already set a precedent, it's just I'd hate to see one of our beautiful landmarks being enveloped in the dark all time, especially if there is something we can do to salvage the possibility of further impact.
If you have a look at the proposal http://www.adelaidecitycouncil.com/adcc ... proval.pdf it shows the shadow outlines at various times of the year. This development doesn't appear to make much difference to the town hall compared to the Westpac building.

mgb.

Professor
High Rise Poster!

#163 Post by Professor » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:09 pm

The proposed building looks OK to me. Nice and slim and not bad surfaces and presentation onto KWS.

Thank goodness the ACC is not in charge of this decision any morer. They are so consistently negative in relation to any building of a decent height.

spiller
High Rise Poster!

#164 Post by spiller » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:43 pm

activ8ed wrote:I'd rather KWS look like one of the grand boulevards of Paris with it's consistent height and density than have ugly blank walled sticks here and there.
Then move to Paris? This is Adelaide, not Paris. Nothing in Adelaide remotely resembles Paris, nor should it. Not Nth Tce, not KWS. Never has, never will. Seriously, I can't believe people are knocking this project. Sure, it could maybe do with some windows on the northern and southern "facades" but to say that this does not complement the surrounding structures is SO anti-development. How about planning for the future, this building could be a pioneer for taller structures along KWS. We have to start somewhere, otherwise we will never leave the present, and forever be stuck in the past.

there was an excellent post on SCC a while ago which conflicted the whinging posts about the Devon HQ building in Oklahoma City standing out like a sore thumb. The poster put up three images of Minneapolis in three different "eras" to portray how a building which towers over the rest may look out of place at one point in time, but can actually be instrumental in promoting similar developments in the future. Minneapolis now has one of the best mid sized city skylines in America as a result.

EDIT: here are the images I was talking about:

Minneapolis

iTouch
Legendary Member!

#165 Post by iTouch » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:02 pm

I fink activ8ed be trollin'. let's stop feeding him
Don't burn the Adelaide Parkland (preservation society)