[COM] Adelaide Oval Redevelopment

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM] Re: Adelaide Oval Redevelopment - General Discussion Thread

#451 Post by rhino » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:11 pm

spiller wrote:
stumpjumper wrote: Funny about old people being tougher than us soft younger generations. Last time I was at Alberton it was cold, windy and p*ssing down but there they were, plenty of senior citizens out in the open with only plastic raincoats and umbrellas at most for protection.
From what I gather, the eldery population (and I deal with many of the elderly in my line of work, at times) wants to stay at AAMI stadium because for them, its easier and more convinient to catch a free football shuttle from their local bus stop, to the ground, and back again, rather than have to catch a train into the city station and potentially wait for another train home, in the city, late at night (after night games obviously) in an area which is usually polluted with young, drunken hooligans on a friday and/or saturday night. The elderly population doesn't buy into the whole "football at AO will boost the atmosphere of the game in SA and the city of Adelaide itself" theory. Unfortunately for that population however, they wont be around to benefit in the future. They are not a minority though.
As I recall, there were a lot of marshalls working outside AAMI Stadium after games, getting people on the right busses. I don't know if they were paid for by Adelaide Metro or the SANFL, but either way, wouldn't it be possible for similar marshalls to be employed between Festival Plaza and the Railway Station, thereby reducing the elderlys' fear of attack by 'young drunken hooligans'?
cheers,
Rhino

Stubbo
Gold-Member ;)

#452 Post by Stubbo » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:40 pm

rhino wrote:
spiller wrote:
stumpjumper wrote: Funny about old people being tougher than us soft younger generations. Last time I was at Alberton it was cold, windy and p*ssing down but there they were, plenty of senior citizens out in the open with only plastic raincoats and umbrellas at most for protection.
From what I gather, the eldery population (and I deal with many of the elderly in my line of work, at times) wants to stay at AAMI stadium because for them, its easier and more convinient to catch a free football shuttle from their local bus stop, to the ground, and back again, rather than have to catch a train into the city station and potentially wait for another train home, in the city, late at night (after night games obviously) in an area which is usually polluted with young, drunken hooligans on a friday and/or saturday night. The elderly population doesn't buy into the whole "football at AO will boost the atmosphere of the game in SA and the city of Adelaide itself" theory. Unfortunately for that population however, they wont be around to benefit in the future. They are not a minority though.
As I recall, there were a lot of marshalls working outside AAMI Stadium after games, getting people on the right busses. I don't know if they were paid for by Adelaide Metro or the SANFL, but either way, wouldn't it be possible for similar marshalls to be employed between Festival Plaza and the Railway Station, thereby reducing the elderlys' fear of attack by 'young drunken hooligans'?
Also, all trains and the Adelaide Train Station are well patrolled at night with every train after 6pm having a security guard.

Ever been to the footy at AAMI? There are enough people drunk and running amok after the game in the car park and fast food places, at least in town there will be more people (and security / police) to monitor the situation.

Splashmo
High Rise Poster!

#453 Post by Splashmo » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:35 pm

I don't think we can take spiller's word as a general indication of what the entire senior football-going population wants.

ghs

#454 Post by ghs » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:44 pm

Anyone else sick of this Adelaide oval business, personally I am a lot more interested
in the other developments in Adelaide such as Harris Scarfe & CC8

Xaragmata

[COM] Re: #U/C: Adelaide Oval - Western Grandstand Construction Th

#455 Post by Xaragmata » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:32 pm

For anyone with nothing better to do, a slideshow of all my Oval pics up to June 10:

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#456 Post by Hooligan » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:56 pm

rhino wrote: thereby reducing the elderlys' fear of attack by 'young drunken hooligans'?
You leave me out this!!!

Code: Select all

Signature removed 

flavze
High Rise Poster!

#457 Post by flavze » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:57 pm

ricecrackers wrote:as an exercise this evening I compared exact scaled images of Royal Bafokeng Stadium in Rustenberg RSA with Adelaide Oval using google maps images and photoshop.

to my surprise the dimensions of each ground are practically identical (and even moreso with the boundary re-alignment at AO)

so taking into account the distance of the stands from the playing field, virtually the same from side on and each end

so if you want to get an idea of how Adelaide Oval will be configured in WC soccer mode, have a look at that stadium on TV. (it was the one where Australia drew 1 all with Ghana at)

in fact the AO redevelopment will be superior as the top of the stands will be steeper than those at Rustenberg
my dimensions were taken from the closest seating to the field at Rustenberg
pretty sure FIFA have changed the stadium compliance regulations from South Africa onwards though and under the new regs would have had Rustenberg out.

Xaragmata

#458 Post by Xaragmata » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:57 pm

From yesterday - looks like they are ready to roof the first section

http://xaragmata.cable.nu/album/adelaid ... index.html

spiller
High Rise Poster!

#459 Post by spiller » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:16 pm

great pics mate. im impressed with how this is taking shape. structurally its coming along really well, although they've still got a heap of work to do to make the Ashes test match deadline in December.

spiller
High Rise Poster!

#460 Post by spiller » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:21 pm

Splashmo wrote:I don't think we can take spiller's word as a general indication of what the entire senior football-going population wants.
No, you certainly cannot, I'm just relaying what i've heard from the members of this population that I have spoken to (and as I said, I encounter a lot of them). It would be interesting to see the results of a questionare amongst this age group however.

Believe it or not, many elderly people are put off by the CBD, period, because they don't like the hussle and bussle. Whether what they believe is fact, or just an opinion (probably the latter) is a different story.

Paulns
Donating Member
Donating Member

#461 Post by Paulns » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:35 pm

Nice slide show Xaragmata, can't wait to see the final one later on in the year!! Thanks for the photo update too.
"SA GOING ALL THE WAY".

Xaragmata

#462 Post by Xaragmata » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:44 pm

Paulns wrote:Nice slide show Xaragmata, can't wait to see the final one later on in the year!! Thanks for the photo update too.
Thanks Paulns - I have to redo it, as I had the wrong date on one set of pics, & didn't notice until yesterday - a fifteen day fortnight :)

minale01
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#463 Post by minale01 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:57 am

After speaking to some poeple of the greater adelaide community about the AO development....this is what came back on why people don't want this to proceed.

1. 450 million on adding just 14,000 seats (36,000 - 50,000)
2. keeping adelaide oval boutique and not making into this grand generic stadium
3. parklands
4. Parking
5. In 2020 and beyond...adelaide's population and member base for codes such as the crows may warrant a stadium in excess of 50,000. do we then make AO into a 70,000+ stadium
6. the current trend of other codes (rugby, soccer, athletics) the increase in attendance warrants a new stadium that is multi purpose....AO is not compliant for commonwealth games.
7. public transport - poeple liked the idea of a docklands stadium that is adjacent to a train station (southern cross and richmond in melbourne) - it created a hub
8. drink driving - bringing football to AO and not having adequate public transport to the ground makes poeople get in their car - exact same issue with AAMI.
if you follow the melbourne system - the minority drive cars - majority catch public transport.
9. Developing a public transport culture - melbourne has it - adelaide doesn't - beacause our facilities suck and no one wants to get on a bus.
10. opportunity cost - if adelaide builds a new stadium it can cater and be upgraded and you dont need to worry about parking, transport, extension, heritage saca/sanfl....for a measly 300 million more which we dont need to pay for until the world cup soccer get around cos thats when it will be built.

thoughts gents

yousername
High Rise Poster!

#464 Post by yousername » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:10 am

Let's all bow down to the effin greatness of Melbourne. Actually not, let's just copy then.

FFS
Will wrote:Victorians can get f#$%^&*!

Nathan

#465 Post by Nathan » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:23 am

minale01 wrote:7. public transport - poeple liked the idea of a docklands stadium that is adjacent to a train station (southern cross and richmond in melbourne) - it created a hub
Adelaide Oval is roughly the same distance from Adelaide Railway Station, as Docklands Stadium is to Southern Cross Station, or at least very close.