News & Discussion: CBD Retail

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: New Retail in the CBD

#301 Post by Waewick » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:42 pm

Straze wrote:capitalist wrote:
no offence straze but when you have the central markets to get fresh fruit and vig from why on earth would you go to Woolies!

Fresh Food people for packaged and other house hold goods but not for fruit and veg thats for sure!!
No capitalist I am not offended. I live in the Elizabeth area so if I want fruit and veg I would much rather go up the road to Angle Vale and get them at wholesale prices, also it saves me time and money. When it comes to items such as cereal, milk, other dairy products and small grocery items I go to a supermarket such as Woolworths, Foodland or Coles. "Woolworths the Fresh Food people" was meant as a cheerful comment not to be taken seriously. Coles is very rare though because a while ago on a Friday night I bought a Paris Creek flavoured milk from Chinatown that was reduced, when I opened it on the bus home I noticed it was off, thats what annoyed me.
agreed, sorry I misunderstood what you where saying :cheers:

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#302 Post by jk1237 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:31 pm

Went to that new funky little Vietnamese roll place on James Place on Saturday. Its the one in green. Was yum yum and cheap cheap. Just a few years ago, you were lucky to see 10 people walk up James Place for a whole Sat, but yesterday it was quite bustling :D

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#303 Post by monotonehell » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:42 pm

jk1237 wrote:Went to that new funky little Vietnamese roll place on James Place on Saturday. Its the one in green. Was yum yum and cheap cheap. Just a few years ago, you were lucky to see 10 people walk up James Place for a whole Sat, but yesterday it was quite bustling :D
Soonta rolls: That's their second outlet, the original one has been on Waymouth St for over a year now (near Georges and the Scientology nutters). You need to get there just before 12 most days as the line usually ends up out the door and down the footpath. Very good and very popular.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Waewick

#304 Post by Waewick » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:39 am

I think you mean very cheap.....

Prince George
Legendary Member!

#305 Post by Prince George » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:40 am

There is some good food in that little corner of town. Since coming back to Adelaide the food court at the Southern Cross Arcade has become a frequent lunch stop for me - especially the noodle soups from the Happy Dragon. I'm prepared to forgive places being a bit rough looking if the food's good, and there are too many shiny-but-bland choices in town; so to my mind the Southern Cross has it all over the Myer centre, David Jones, or the Citi Cross.

On that note, a couple of months ago the Queen spotted a satay place - the Swinging Pot - opposite Myer on Gawler Place, and boy I'm glad she did. It looks like a dive, but the food is righteous; the beef rendang is essential, the sambal eggs are a revelation. The thought of so many people queueing at McDonalds or Subway when there's options as good as this just breaks my heart.

Waewick

#306 Post by Waewick » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:51 am

I agree with you on that. It amazes me that people will overlook good quality afforable food for "maccas" and then complain about lack of variety and the expense of eating healthy!

and not only are they getting an inferior quiality food, alot of the time the wait is just as long!

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#307 Post by Hooligan » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:15 pm

Mcdonalds serves a very good purpose, It's exactly what you need after consuming copious amounts of alcohol.

Code: Select all

Signature removed 

Stubbo
Gold-Member ;)

#308 Post by Stubbo » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:20 pm

Prince George wrote:There is some good food in that little corner of town. Since coming back to Adelaide the food court at the Southern Cross Arcade has become a frequent lunch stop for me - especially the noodle soups from the Happy Dragon. I'm prepared to forgive places being a bit rough looking if the food's good, and there are too many shiny-but-bland choices in town; so to my mind the Southern Cross has it all over the Myer centre, David Jones, or the Citi Cross.

On that note, a couple of months ago the Queen spotted a satay place - the Swinging Pot - opposite Myer on Gawler Place, and boy I'm glad she did. It looks like a dive, but the food is righteous; the beef rendang is essential, the sambal eggs are a revelation. The thought of so many people queueing at McDonalds or Subway when there's options as good as this just breaks my heart.
Its always good to hear of new spots, I will have to check these out during the coming weeks, looks like Im gonna be working at Elizabeth soon....

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#309 Post by Will » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:59 pm

The new Morrisey store in Rundle Street has opened.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#310 Post by crawf » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:08 pm

Anyone has any info at when the new retail stores next to Woolies are opening?

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#311 Post by Ben » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:48 am

Will wrote:The new Morrisey store in Rundle Street has opened.
it would be good if it was morrisey but unfortunatly it's morrison an older ladies brand :)

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#312 Post by Will » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:44 pm

Ben wrote:
Will wrote:The new Morrisey store in Rundle Street has opened.
it would be good if it was morrisey but unfortunatly it's morrison an older ladies brand :)
:oops:

So Morrison is like a high-end joyrene fashions?

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#313 Post by Ben » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:19 pm

Not quite that bad haha

Nathan

#314 Post by Nathan » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:35 pm

Rundle Street Yakitori Bar has opened with little fanfare on (gasp!) Rundle St, where Not Coffee used to be. Has any body given it a go?

The branding looks very plain and forgettable, so I wouldn't be surprised if people walk past thinking that it's always been there - it's just anonymous. I've walked past a few times during my lunch breaks, and have seen a total of 2 people dining (that's total since it opened). I don't have high hopes for it, but would be happy to be told it's actually alright.

Waewick

#315 Post by Waewick » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:59 pm

I'm going to try and get in there next week or the week after.

the food looks ok, nothing like what I ate when in Japan but i'll give a crack and let you know.

I was just hopeful they had Bento boxes, but i think i'm going to be disappointed.