[COM] Rundle Place | 76m | 15lvls | Retail & Office

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
baytram366
High Rise Poster!

[COM] Re: SWP Rundle Pl:Bendigo-Adel Bank, Harris Scarfe, Coles 72

#811 Post by baytram366 » Mon May 23, 2011 12:41 pm

Hopefully they remove that air con before they remove that old signage - that signage would have to be older than the lettering facing Grenfell Street. Good find
Baytram 366's Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/34520752@N07/collections

arki
High Rise Poster!

#812 Post by arki » Tue May 24, 2011 12:21 am

I am disgusted that the developer received approval for the demolishion of the Rundle Mall facades. I cannot believe that more people on this forum have not spoken out about this shocking injustice that is being done in the heart of our city.

To say that the building replacing this historical frontage is somewhat attractive or interesting would at least make this project easier to stomach but to think that what these buildings are really being replaced by is a shockingly unattractive, bland beige wall with windows topped by a completely half baked tower above just makes me sad.

I would have hoped that at least the Roger David building and Sanity on the other end would have been spared but from what I can tell they will suffer the same fate as the old Myer across the road.

iTouch
Legendary Member!

#813 Post by iTouch » Tue May 24, 2011 12:51 am

arki wrote:I am disgusted that the developer received approval for the demolishion of the Rundle Mall facades. I cannot believe that more people on this forum have not spoken out about this shocking injustice that is being done in the heart of our city.

To say that the building replacing this historical frontage is somewhat attractive or interesting would at least make this project easier to stomach but to think that what these buildings are really being replaced by is a shockingly unattractive, bland beige wall with windows topped by a completely half baked tower above just makes me sad.

I would have hoped that at least the Roger David building and Sanity on the other end would have been spared but from what I can tell they will suffer the same fate as the old Myer across the road.
uhh no offense but have you ever been into Harris Scarfes? It got the title "harris scruffs" for a reason...
Don't burn the Adelaide Parkland (preservation society)

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#814 Post by SRW » Tue May 24, 2011 1:09 am

iTouch(myself) wrote: uhh no offense but have you ever been into Harris Scarfes? It got the title "harris scruffs" for a reason...
That's not what we're talking about, iTouch. I don't think anyone disputes that Harris Scarfe was generally unpleasant inside. But it's entirely possible to have retained the Mall frontages and renovated or redeveloped the site internally. The point is that the Mall is losing a significant chunk of its unique streetscape, simply because the developer refused to consider creative reuse, façadism or even just, you know, a decent design... Though it's going ahead, so that's the last I'll say.
Keep Adelaide Weird

baytram366
High Rise Poster!

#815 Post by baytram366 » Tue May 24, 2011 8:14 am

At least I am not the only one that thinks the replacement is a horrid, ugly, boring piece of glass crap :toilet:
Haven't we learnt that it is possible to keep a facade and develop behind it - eg. State Bank Building. Soon we will have nothing but carbon copies of each building all made from glass. None of these will be put forward for Heritage Listing in the future...
But what can the "simple" folk do to stop these beautiful buildings being knocked down - chain yourself to the walls perhaps??
Baytram 366's Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/34520752@N07/collections

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#816 Post by Nathan » Tue May 24, 2011 8:27 am

arki wrote:I cannot believe that more people on this forum have not spoken out about this shocking injustice that is being done in the heart of our city.
Have you read through the thread? Whilst people are happy for the development, I think you'll find most people here have voiced disappointment that the Rundle Mall facade wasn't kept and integrated into the new building.

Waewick

#817 Post by Waewick » Tue May 24, 2011 8:51 am

baytram366 wrote: At least I am not the only one that thinks the replacement is a horrid, ugly, boring piece of glass crap :toilet:
Haven't we learnt that it is possible to keep a facade and develop behind it - eg. State Bank Building. Soon we will have nothing but carbon copies of each building all made from glass. None of these will be put forward for Heritage Listing in the future...
that is where you are wrong, eventually glass buildings are going to be a statement from this era, in which case there will be people trying to keep thne standing when the next round of knock down and rebuild is underway.

baytram366 wrote:
But what can the "simple" folk do to stop these beautiful buildings being knocked down - chain yourself to the walls perhaps??
you mean the stone fronted facade that appears all the way down rundle to hindley and throughout the CBD? virtual carbon copies of each other from the early 20th century?

rhino

#818 Post by rhino » Tue May 24, 2011 10:48 am

Waewick wrote:the stone fronted facade that appears all the way down rundle to hindley and throughout the CBD? virtual carbon copies of each other from the early 20th century?
You may not like them, but they are not "virtual carbon copies of each other".
cheers,
Rhino

Waewick

#819 Post by Waewick » Tue May 24, 2011 12:01 pm

Oh I like them - but in reality there are plenty of examples of that type of architecture around the place and not all buildings are that appealing - the HS one is alright but the ones we are losing are hardly Architectural master pieces are they.

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#820 Post by jk1237 » Tue May 24, 2011 9:01 pm

arki wrote:I am disgusted that the developer received approval for the demolishion of the Rundle Mall facades. I cannot believe that more people on this forum have not spoken out about this shocking injustice that is being done in the heart of our city.

I have to agree arki. The Rundle Mall facade should have been heritage listed. I love it and it has so much character. Cant really do much now. Its kinda weird that a stand alone blue stone villa along Hutt St is protected at all costs but then we let a grand piece of our history be destroyed along Rundle Mall. We have thousands of other old stone villas in our inner suburbs, but not many old facades like Harris Scarfe.

fishinajar
High Rise Poster!

#821 Post by fishinajar » Wed May 25, 2011 8:42 am

I think the old building fronts on Rundle are bland and boring and a sparkly new and original glass front concept will spice up the mall no end. I'm sure the developers have the best of intentions and are not at all simply going for the cheapest option that provides the most public frontage.
[Throws fuel on fire. Why? Poops and giggles]

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#822 Post by pushbutton » Wed May 25, 2011 4:02 pm

Two large holes in side wall of Sanity now and huge hole in ground level floor of sanity, being excavated.

Entire Western corner of building gone on Grenfell street. Scaffolding now covers western end of main tower on rundle mall, presumably meaning that will be undergoing serious demolition very shortly.

Professor
High Rise Poster!

#823 Post by Professor » Wed May 25, 2011 5:45 pm

Thanks for the update pushbutton.

Can we please stop debating the merit of the facade. It will be cpletely omgone soon, so the discussion is all academic in relation to the new building. That battle was won / lost at the building approval stage

Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

#824 Post by Pants » Wed May 25, 2011 6:18 pm

No.

Omicron

#825 Post by Omicron » Wed May 25, 2011 11:26 pm

Pants wrote:No.
I'd best rush off to the RAH and Adelaide Oval threads and make dissenting posts again, then! :wink: