Beer Garden

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
dsriggs
Legendary Member!

Beer Garden

#1291 Post by dsriggs » Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:24 pm

On the banks of the Torrens at the moment, this must be the first and only time the rotunda's been put to any use at all!

[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: Beer Garden

#1292 Post by [Shuz] » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:37 am

Happy New Year everyone!

We're in for a very exciting year with numerous projects already underway and expected to commence during 2012! :cheers:
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

IAintTouchin
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#1293 Post by IAintTouchin » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:51 pm

I'm going to be living in Perth for 6 months. I can't wait to see whats happening when I get back :)
I am iTouch

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1294 Post by SRW » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:20 pm

Flatpack highrise? China builds 30 storey hotel in 15 days:
Keep Adelaide Weird

ac83
Gold-Member ;)

#1295 Post by ac83 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:58 pm

IAintTouchin wrote:I'm going to be living in Perth for 6 months. I can't wait to see whats happening when I get back :)
I say the same about Perth. I usually go once a year and it's continuously changing

Vee
Legendary Member!

#1296 Post by Vee » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:16 am

After reading a snippet in the local media about INXS (one of the great Aussie acts in the lineup for the 2012 Clipsal post race entertainment) enjoying the sights, gourmet dining etc in Adelaide and a stint in the Chapel Lane Recording Studio in Hindmarsh this week, my curiosity got the better of me.

I checked out the Chapel Lane Entertainment website and Wow!

This looks like a fabulous facility, venue for functions and associated accommodation next door for recording artists. It's stylish and creative and surely bound to be in great demand.

A great addition to the Entertainment Precinct and a plus for our music industry and city.
http://www.chapellaneentertainment.com/

Omicron

#1297 Post by Omicron » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:29 pm

This building is making me randy:

X Condominiums in Toronto. Do want.

[Shuz]

#1298 Post by [Shuz] » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:17 am

Oooer. That's hot.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1299 Post by monotonehell » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:43 pm

All I saw were green copper roofs and "Rogers" and though "CanadIa!"
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Omicron

#1300 Post by Omicron » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:23 am

monotonehell wrote:All I saw were green copper roofs and "Rogers" and though "CanadIa!"
I have no idea what you're talkeing aboot, eh?

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1301 Post by Will » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:19 pm

I am currently reading a thesis regarding the battle between between heritage and development in Adelaide during the Bannon years, and it has inspired this rant as to why we need a new tallest building.

On page 48, there is a quote by political commentator Chris Kenny tegarding the mood of the state following the state bank disaster: "There is a hollowness about the state, symbolised by its tallest building [the State Bank centre] — the tumour rather than the spine of the city".

Considering that the State Bank Centre (now Westpac House) continues to be the tallest building in our city, one can make the conclusion that because it continues to be the tallest building in our city it thus continues to serve as a reminder of our failings.

Although we may have economically put to rest the ghost of the state bank, for as long as the State Bank Centre continues to be our tallest building we will never be able to fully put to rest the ghost of the state bank disaster.

Considering that government agencies are the largest occupiers of office space in the CBD, essentially only a government client could be capable of warranting the space for a new tallest building. It is time that our political leaders understood and appreaciated the power of symbols, and vacated their dated 60s, 70s and 80s office buildings and got behind a new tallest building in Adelaide, so as to finally put to rest the ghost of the state bank disaster.

[Shuz]

#1302 Post by [Shuz] » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:53 pm

Hear, hear!

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1303 Post by crawf » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:52 pm

+3!

Considering Westpac House is going to have more company within the next 5-10 years, the need for our newest tallest building is going to get stronger. And with prosperity times beginning in our state, city height restrictions needs a major overhaul asap to take full advantage of booming times - as it's been mentioned so many god damn times on here.. one day..... one day

When that day comes, I believe our tallest will be a mixed development or purely residential. Though this is all dreaming on my part :P

stumpjumper
Legendary Member!

#1304 Post by stumpjumper » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:23 pm

Omicron, crawf, will etc.

Why is a taller building better than a shorter one?

Just an academic question.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1305 Post by Will » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:46 pm

stumpjumper wrote:Omicron, crawf, will etc.

Why is a taller building better than a shorter one?

Just an academic question.
Throughout history and in different cultures, people have reached to the heavens as a symbol of the success and prosperity of their respective cultures. Look at the pyrammids of ancient Egypt, the pyrammids of the Aztecs and Maya, and the cathedrals of medieval Europe for example.

In modern times, city's with skyscrapers look succesful, dynamic and exciting.

To a degree, I think our low/mid-rise skyline with its stumpy buildings contributes to the 'Adelaide jokes' we all despise.