News & Discussion: General CBD Development

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: CBD Development: General

#1126 Post by Ben » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:21 am

Pancake kitchen look to be taking over the hairdressers site next door.
Type: Development Application Received
Application Number: DA/52/2012
Lodgement Date: 25/01/2012
Location: Madame Josephine Salon, Ground 17 Gilbert Place, ADELAIDE SA 5000
Description: Extend existing restaurant into adjacent premises.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1127 Post by Ben » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:22 am

For those that venture into the city regulary you probably have noticed the "Bean Bar coming soon" sign that has been adjacant the Trans Adelaide customer service centre on Currie Street. It has been there since I worked in the CBD 5 years ago!!!

Well looks like something is finally happening. I am surprised that this has been vacant so long. Such a prime location. I'm sure there is more to the story then we know.
Application Number: DA/49/2012
Lodgement Date: 24/01/2012
Description: Internal and external alterations and use as cafe.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1128 Post by Will » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:03 pm

Ben wrote:For those that venture into the city regulary you probably have noticed the "Bean Bar coming soon" sign that has been adjacant the Trans Adelaide customer service centre on Currie Street. It has been there since I worked in the CBD 5 years ago!!!

Well looks like something is finally happening. I am surprised that this has been vacant so long. Such a prime location. I'm sure there is more to the story then we know.
Application Number: DA/49/2012
Lodgement Date: 24/01/2012
Description: Internal and external alterations and use as cafe.
The entire building, with the exception of the Trans Adelaide customer centre has been vacant for more than a decade. I recall reading some years ago that the reason is that the building is heavily contaminated with asbestos.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1129 Post by Will » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:05 pm

Ben wrote:Pancake kitchen look to be taking over the hairdressers site next door.
That is good news. Gilbert Place is crying out to be transformed into a laneway precinct.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1130 Post by monotonehell » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:01 pm

Will wrote:
Ben wrote:Pancake kitchen look to be taking over the hairdressers site next door.
That is good news. Gilbert Place is crying out to be transformed into a laneway precinct.
Lots of this^

Lots of interesting buildings in there - all old and plastered. It already has two restaurants as anchors (Pancake Kitchen and Penang) a bar of sorts at the Hindley Street end (The Little) and Red Star cafe`. There's a couple of (what I remember to be) empty shop/office/restaurant buildings past that up toward the hotel on Currie. ALSO the far end of Colonial arcade used to exit onto the corner - perhaps the refit of that building could maintain that aspect as an rear entrance multiplying potential for foot traffic.

It would need a lot of clever work to make it more salubrious while maintaining some character. But this is a side street project worth being excited over as it has character and potential.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Vee
Legendary Member!

#1131 Post by Vee » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:32 am

I love the free bikes concept from the ACC, though it could be more visible to visitors and residents, and a bike hub for city cyclists is a good idea.

However, I ventured into Hindmarsh Square this week and was taken aback at the ugly collection of shipping containers in the roadway with plastic bollards blocking off the square.

It looked very ugly, more like an industrial complex, and not especially inviting. I think it spoils the Square and it is a horrible outlook from nearby buildings including the Conservatory and hotel. Surely a bike hub does not have to look like this?

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1132 Post by Wayno » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:31 am

Vee wrote:Surely a bike hub does not have to look like this?
Yep it's ugly, but just a temporary trial. Good on the ACC for allowing it to happen. The experience will spark ideas and hopefully a more mature long-term solution.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

mokeystyley
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#1133 Post by mokeystyley » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:40 pm

Vee wrote: It looked very ugly, more like an industrial complex, and not especially inviting. I think it spoils the Square and it is a horrible outlook from nearby buildings including the Conservatory and hotel. Surely a bike hub does not have to look like this?
I went and had a chat to them last week to find out what it was all about. The Bicycle SA girl said that yes while it looked ugly at the moment, over the next 2 months, the containers will be painted and decorated by artists (this should brighten it up a bit).

Vee
Legendary Member!

#1134 Post by Vee » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:10 am

I just checked some information about the ACC AdelaideCityBikes free bicycle use scheme.
It's a great idea for residents and visitors but could be improved (if extra funding applied).
http://www.bikesa.asn.au/AdelaideCityBikes
To take advantage of the Adelaide City Bikes scheme, all you need is either your current driver's licence or passport. Your ID will be held as a deposit for the duration of the hire and will be given back to you when you return your Adelaide City Bike to the point of hire.
I realise it's free for users but how many users would be put off by having to leave their passport or driver's licence (if you have one) as collateral?
There are 7 nodes in the city (different opening hours) and you must return the bike to the one you hired it from (and obviously collect your ID). Having to hand over a precious ID document and the restriction of returning the bicycle back to where you got it from is a negative for the scheme in my opinion.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1135 Post by Ben » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:13 am

Vee wrote:I just checked some information about the ACC AdelaideCityBikes free bicycle use scheme.
It's a great idea for residents and visitors but could be improved (if extra funding applied).
To take advantage of the Adelaide City Bikes scheme, all you need is either your current driver's licence or passport. Your ID will be held as a deposit for the duration of the hire and will be given back to you when you return your Adelaide City Bike to the point of hire.
I realise it's free for users but how many users would be put off by having to leave their passport or driver's licence (if you have one) as collateral?
There are 7 nodes in the city (different opening hours) and you must return the bike to the one you hired it from (and obviously collect your ID). Having to hand over a precious ID document and the restriction of returning the bicycle back to where you got it from is a negative for the scheme in my opinion.
It's either that or forking out cash as a deposit. I think it's a good idea compared to the alternative.

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1136 Post by Waewick » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:10 pm

isn't it illegal to withhold peoples personal identification?

I know it is in NSW (I was picked up driving without my licence as the place I was staying held it as collateral - I got it back after said incident)

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1137 Post by monotonehell » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:11 pm

Waewick wrote:isn't it illegal to withhold peoples personal identification?

I know it is in NSW (I was picked up driving without my licence as the place I was staying held it as collateral - I got it back after said incident)
It is in most places, and it's not advised by any authority who issue them, but it's been going on in bike hire places in tourist areas all over the world for decades.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1138 Post by crawf » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:13 pm

Ben wrote:
Vee wrote:I just checked some information about the ACC AdelaideCityBikes free bicycle use scheme.
It's either that or forking out cash as a deposit. I think it's a good idea compared to the alternative.
Agreed.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1139 Post by Will » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:36 pm

Excellent idea, however, if this is to work, the authorities must do something about the dozens of drunk and abusive homeless and Aboriginal people in the CBD. I personally have after a few undesirable incidents given up on eating alfresco. I am sure I am not the only one who feels this way.

From the Messenger:
Outdoor dining fees face chop

Council2 Feb 12 @ 07:30am by Alice Higgins

OUTDOOR dining fees could be scrapped in five months under a radical new plan to transform the city into the alfresco dining capital of the country.

Lord Mayor Stephen Yarwood is spearheading a campaign to investigate abolishing outdoor dining fees in 2012/13 to encourage more restaurants to offer outdoor dining.

The investigation would also consider offering traders incentives to provide outdoor dining, such as reimbursing them for the cost of tables, chairs and lights.

Traders have applauded the plan, saying it would motivate more restaurant owners to provide outdoor tables and chairs.

If adopted, the measure would save them a combined $288,200 in annual fees.

Mr Yarwood wanted to develop an “aggressive policy” to make it easier for traders to accommodate alfresco dining.

“Melbourne has a huge outdoor dining culture and the weather there is terrible. We should be an outdoor alfresco city second to none,” he said.

More than 350 traders hold outdoor dining permits across the city and North Adelaide, ranging from $360 for three tables to $3000 for 25.

Prospect Council is encouraging Prospect Rd traders to introduce alfresco dining by leasing the footpath at no cost for the first year.

Mr Yarwood said the $288,200 Town Hall would lose in annual revenue would be recouped in vibrant streetscapes.

“If this costs us $300,000, to change the streets of Adelaide in such a highly visible way would be money well spent,” he said.

Gouger St Gelatissimo part-owner Tony Gagliardi said scrapping fees would prompt more restaurants to offer outdoor dining.

“They would put out extra seating straight away (if fees were scrapped),” he said.

The Stag Hotel and The Duke Hotel co-owner Peter Holden said it would be “fantastic”.

“(But) I would not like to see a total deregulation where tables and chairs were put wherever you like.”

Scoozi day shift manager Emily Kellett agreed: “We pay a lot of money for outdoor dining fees.”

“It would be good for everyone to do outdoor dining, especially at this time of year.”

Emilia Seto, who enjoys alfresco dining about once a fortnight, said it would give patrons more eating options to choose from.

“Especially in this business climate where things are getting pretty tough, a lot of places would not want to spend that additional fee,” Ms Seto said.

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1140 Post by Waewick » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:17 pm

Will wrote:Excellent idea, however, if this is to work, the authorities must do something about the dozens of drunk and abusive homeless and Aboriginal people in the CBD. I personally have after a few undesirable incidents given up on eating alfresco. I am sure I am not the only one who feels this way.
:lol:

I'm sure if you had your time again, you would re-phrase that....