Information on subsidies provided for the cities expansion

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Information on subsidies provided for the cities expansion

#1 Post by Waewick » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:07 pm

after riding my $4 train ride from the city to Noarlunga (a similar fair it costs me from Parkside to the City via bus) I was wondering where I would find information to the cost of infrastrucutre to the State Government for the provision of houses in areas such as Aldinga and Gawler (and Mount Barker to a lesser degree) and other distant developments.

With all the talk about the expansion of the city I want to know what the real cost to the state is for not seeking higher density - that is the subsidies provided to people living on larger blocks - directly and indirectly due to the distance from the CBD (as a reference point)

things I can see as being subsidised (both directly and indirectly)

PT (there appears to be little saving in living inner suburbs akin to living outer)
Roads (further out, use roads more etc)
Water Services (I pay a higher water rates for instance based on the MV of my home, you move out of the city, get a bigger house but pay less because the value of the house is less)
Electricity Supply (I pay an increase in cost to cover maintence and expansion)
Car Registration (as above, more roads, more accidents)
Telephone and related services costs (infrastrucutre costs have to be subsidised)

What I want to uncover is if there is a way to force the government to be more transperent in the actual cost of these far flung suburbs to provide a better picture to the average South Australian on why the continued growth in city boundaries is a bad idea.

basically show them why it is hurting them in the hip pocket and attituges will change quickly.

or am I just whinging for the sake of it?

[Shuz]

Re: Information on subsidies provided for the cities expansi

#2 Post by [Shuz] » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:13 pm

Waewick wrote: or am I just whinging for the sake of it?
You're being very reasonable. I completely agree.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Waewick

Re: Information on subsidies provided for the cities expansi

#3 Post by Waewick » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:53 pm

well then, that is 1 persons support.

now it is time to go try and find some information.