Martin Hamiton Smith The New Liberal Leader

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.

Do you think Martin has the potential of becoming premier?

Yes
26%
No
74%

Total votes: 19

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

Martin Hamiton Smith The New Liberal Leader

#1 Post by crawf » Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:59 am

Major Martin takeover
GREG KELTON, MICHAEL OWEN

April 12, 2007 02:15am
Article from: The Advertiser

NEW Liberal leader Martin Hamilton-Smith has vowed to "roll up his sleeves" and take on Premier Mike Rann with a revamped party which "means business".

But he already faces a crisis with threats last night from frontbencher Isobel Redmond to challenge Deputy Leader Vickie Chapman for her position.

The deputy leadership did not come up for vote yesterday, suggesting a deal between Ms Chapman, her supporters and Mr Hamilton-Smith.

Ms Redmond expressed her displeasure before the leadership vote that the deputy's position was not spilled along with the leadership.

Mr Hamilton-Smith, a former lieutenant colonel in the Special Air Service, defended Ms Chapman and said he thought that she was doing a good job.

To challenge, Ms Redmond needs four MPs to sign a letter and she will move by the weekend to seek those signatures.

"If there's a mood for change, Iain and Vickie came in on a joint ticket and her job should have been up," Ms Redmond told The Advertiser last night.

"I am like a wild animal when I am backed into a corner. I resent having decisions taken away from me which I think should be mine to make," Ms Redmond said.

As a result of yesterday's drama:

MR Hamilton-Smith has promised better relations with the party organisation and a "more assertive and aggressive" performance from MPs.

THERE also will be a major reshuffle of the party's frontbench with Opposition leader in the Legislative Council, Rob Lucas, set to lose his treasury portfolio.

DEFEATED leader Iain Evans said he was disappointed and would consider overnight if he would serve on a new frontbench.

Mr Hamilton-Smith will hold talks with MPs and announce a new frontbench within a week.

He said he hoped Mr Evans would be "a strong senior member of the frontbench".

Mr Lucas said last night the allocation of portfolios was a decision for the leader and "I have always respected the leader's decision".

Key issues in the downfall of Mr Evans have been his fractured relations with party president Christopher Moriarty, poor poll results and claims of a lack of aggression.

Mr Hamilton-Smith, who launched his surprise leadership challenge with only 24 hours' notice, won the vote 13-10 after a meeting lasting about 15 minutes.

He said it was the most significant change of direction for the party in more than a decade.

"It is a break with the past and we are looking forward to the next 30 years," he told reporters after the party-room meeting.

Mr Hamilton-Smith had gone into the meeting with 12 votes locked away but, at the last minute, there was a defection from the Evans' camp.

Asked if he had been stabbed in the back, Mr Evans said: "This is politics. Martin has the right to challenge. He has won the day."

Mr Hamilton-Smith becomes the party's third leader in 13 months following a disastrous showing in the 2006 state election.

The party-room vote brought to a head days of behind-the-scenes manoeuvring and a deal which gave leadership to Mr Hamilton-Smith but kept Deputy Leader Vickie Chapman in her post.

Former premier and party leader Rob Kerin, who had been critical earlier in the day about the timing of the challenge, said "it is on with the job".

"I'll support Martin. He is the leader and I'm a team player," Mr Kerin said.

Frontbencher Mitch Williams said it was common knowledge Mr Hamilton-Smith "had the numbers together".

"I certainly hope he can deliver what he's promised," he said.

Frontbencher Steven Griffiths, elected in 2006 with four others, said a majority of new members supported Mr Hamilton-Smith.

Premier Mike Rann said the problem with the state Liberals was they spent so much time fighting each other they did not fight for SA.

"I feel sorry for Iain Evans. Being Opposition Leader is a difficult job and one year is not enough to prove yourself," he said. Mr Rann said Mr Hamilton-Smith opposed everything and was prepared to promise anything.

bdm
High Rise Poster!

#2 Post by bdm » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:22 am

What a deceitful fool.

Evans had only one year, and was consistently given bad press. It wasn't the leader, it's the team--the amount of useless old fogies in the Libs ranks is too much.

In comparison, Labor's old fogies are guns, and it's new kids are still learning the ropes

Bulldozer
High Rise Poster!

#3 Post by Bulldozer » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:58 am

bdm wrote:What a deceitful fool.

Evans had only one year, and was consistently given bad press. It wasn't the leader, it's the team--the amount of useless old fogies in the Libs ranks is too much.
Evans was only elected to spite Hamilton-Smith for challenging Kerin, who was a compromise between the two factions. Both were hopeless dithering idiots that wasted countless opportunities to nail Media Mike to the wall.

You can tell just by the difference in the way that Hamilton-Smith and Evans talk and carry themselves, that Hamilton-Smith means business.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#4 Post by Will » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:35 am

Although I'm not a Liberal supporter, I believe the state deserves some kind of opposition. Hamilton-Smith was the only Liberal who was trying. Evans had no initiative and passion.

But beside the point, I am dissapointed with the comments written on the Advertiser public forum about this story. It is depressing that there are still people upset about the tram line extension. How pathetic.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#5 Post by Howie » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:38 am

Hamilton-Smith in all his tree-hugging hippiness. An absolute show pony, and yet another anti-development nimby. There's no way i'll be voting for him.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#6 Post by crawf » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:55 pm

Well everyone knows how I feel about this clown, so I wont say anything

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#7 Post by rhino » Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:01 pm

crawf wrote:Well everyone knows how I feel about this clown, so I wont say anything
Ditto for me.
cheers,
Rhino

Pistol
Legendary Member!

#8 Post by Pistol » Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:29 pm

I love that picture of Martin! He has no chance whatsoever.

bdm
High Rise Poster!

#9 Post by bdm » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:38 pm

If the Liberals want to win, they need to inject new blood in. There's nothing but some diseased rubbish in there now.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#10 Post by crawf » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:35 pm

I agree man

If they don't get there act together and come up with some decent ideas, I'll be voting Labor or the greens in 2010.

shuza
High Rise Poster!

#11 Post by shuza » Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:56 pm

Political question:
Whats the point of voting for an independant party if theyre never going to hold the power?

I vote this year in the federal election for the first time... and I would like some knowledge on the independants party point before I vote. Im going Labor for now.... but I like Pauline Hanson, but because she hasnt got enough votes to hold power (exception QLD 1998) whats the point?

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#12 Post by Howie » Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:59 pm

What exactly do you like about pauline hanson?

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#13 Post by crawf » Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:09 pm

LOL Pauline Hanson

Anyone remember that 90s song about her?, that was gold haha.

shuza
High Rise Poster!

#14 Post by shuza » Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:12 pm

I like her views on immigration control, anti-globalisation and multiculturalism.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#15 Post by Howie » Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:14 pm

She's a redneck, xenophobic, and if she gets into power she'd send australia broke and on bad terms with our neighbour countries.