News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: Adelaide Station to close for a month

#1636 Post by Aidan » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:16 pm

Hooligan wrote:
Aidan wrote:
SouthAussie94 wrote: Key word being BELAIR LINE, referring to the passenger line terminating at Belair, not the freight line running parallel to it and continuing past Belair... These two lines operate separately to each other. One does not impact on the other in any way except for where the Freight line crosses the Noarlunga line at Goodwood.
For thse who remember the Belair Line before standardization the distinction is not so clearcut - the line has always run beyond Belair so that objection's not valid, and the suburban trains used to use both tracks. But my point that trains continued to run on one of the tracks in the Belair Line corridor while work was done on the other one.
Aidan, There is ONE track on the Belair line. ONE that is used for suburban trains.

ONE.

I think SouthAussie94 (as well as most of the forum) will agree that you should just stop your pretenious bullshit and dump the whole "hollier than thou" attitude. I know it pisses me off and i know it pisses others off.
Now go build a 4x4 lane road somewhere.
I am not purporting to be holy, but nor will I be silenced, and I certainly won't admit I'm wrong when I 'm right. In the context of the Belair Line, there are TWO tracks in the corridor, regardless of whether you count the interstate one as Belair Line or not, and when I pointed out that there were two tracks I was careful to mention that one wasn't used for suburban trains, so there was really no point in your telling me.

I avoid making comments I'm not prepared to defend, and conversely I am prepared to defend any comment I make. If that pisses you off, that's your problem not mine.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

[Shuz]

#1637 Post by [Shuz] » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:45 am

Aidan, be quiet.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

rubberman

#1638 Post by rubberman » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:42 am

[Shuz] wrote:Aidan, be quiet.
Why should he?

He is absolutely correct.

Those of us who are true South Australians will remember that the MTT used to have their tickets printed by Leals. On the back of those tickets were printed proverbs collected by Mr Leal.

One of the proverbs was: "People who say something can't be done, should get out of the way of those who can."

Closing the Adelaide Railway Station for a month is not only just plain lazy, it is also contemptuous of the travelling public, and surely will have everyone laughing at Adelaide.

SouthAussie94
Legendary Member!

#1639 Post by SouthAussie94 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:15 pm

Let me go back to your original post...
Aidan wrote: The Belair Line upgrade shows that Adelaide has the capability to keep one track running while working on the other, yet the DTEI/DPTI went for the lazy option of upgrading both at once.
Yes, we kept one line open during the upgrade, however the line which was running operated separately to the one being upgraded! Different trains, different gauges. This isn't relevant to the Adelaide Station closure in any way!

And then later on you said this:
Aidan wrote:For thse who remember the Belair Line before standardization the distinction is not so clearcut - the line has always run beyond Belair so that objection's not valid, and the suburban trains used to use both tracks. But my point that trains continued to run on one of the tracks in the Belair Line corridor while work was done on the other one.
Key word being USED!! ie: They don't anymore! The Belair passenger line is a single track for the majority of its distance, with the freight line sharing the same corridor, using a completely different track. Once again, the two tracks are different gauges.. When the BELAIR Passenger line was closed in 2009, the Freight line continued to operate. NO Passenger trains went to Belair during this period!

Once again, how does this relate in anyway to the closure of Adelaide Station?

If the project managers and engineers believe that the best way for this project to be completed is to close the Adelaide Station then surely this must be the best option. While it is bound to be possible to keep the Station open, they have determined that it is better to close it. I'm sure they have much more experience and knowledge in this area than a bunch of keyboard warriors on a forum...
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1640 Post by AtD » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:44 pm

I think it'd be less disruptive to keep the trains running during the day and have the work done on nights and weekends, even if it takes 3 months rather than 1. It's hard to convince the public that public transport is a reliable option when this happens.

metro
Legendary Member!

#1641 Post by metro » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:28 pm

I agree with Rubberman, it is very contemptuous of the travelling public. They should at least offer free travel on all trains, and any bus route that goes anywhere near a train line for the duration of the closure! Having the ONLY railway station in the city close for over a month is just stupid, no other city in the world would even consider it.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#1642 Post by rev » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:39 pm

rubberman wrote:and surely will have everyone laughing at Adelaide.
Who gives a damn!

Most people do not care about this stuff, they only take interest in the end result.

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1643 Post by jk1237 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:45 pm

no one will be laughing at us, thats Adelaide now rubbish.

I don't have a huge issue closing it in Jan, however I do agree with the concerns that once you close a train/tram/bus route for a number of weeks, a fair chunk of the regular cummuters turn to their car and unfortunately stay with the car and wont go back to PT. There have been a few cases at my work of regular travellers on the Gawler line who started driving in during the last 6 month closure earlier this year and have now continued driving in now even though it has fully opened. They do whinge about how long it takes to drive in the traffic however

ChillyPhilly

#1644 Post by ChillyPhilly » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:27 pm

I don't drive at all - yet - but I am glad that the closure will be in January, I guess. Those of us along the Grange and Outer Harbor lines will be lucky: we can just get off at Bowden and tram it into town. Others not so much, and I feel for the hundreds who come in from the northern suburbs along the Gawler line. I can't help but wonder if this closure is a lazy and perhaps unnecessary measure.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1645 Post by SRW » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:49 pm

SouthAussie94 wrote: And then later on you said this:
Aidan wrote:For those who remember the Belair Line before standardization the distinction is not so clearcut - the line has always run beyond Belair so that objection's not valid, and the suburban trains used to use both tracks. But my point that trains continued to run on one of the tracks in the Belair Line corridor while work was done on the other one.
Key word being USED!! ie: They don't anymore! The Belair passenger line is a single track for the majority of its distance, with the freight line sharing the same corridor, using a completely different track. Once again, the two tracks are different gauges.. When the BELAIR Passenger line was closed in 2009, the Freight line continued to operate. NO Passenger trains went to Belair during this period!

Once again, how does this relate in anyway to the closure of Adelaide Station?

If the project managers and engineers believe that the best way for this project to be completed is to close the Adelaide Station then surely this must be the best option. While it is bound to be possible to keep the Station open, they have determined that it is better to close it. I'm sure they have much more experience and knowledge in this area than a bunch of keyboard warriors on a forum...
Blue answers red.

I have no stake in this discussion one way or the other, but it seems you are misidentifying Aidan's main point and arguing the discussion off-course. His point is that, regardless of the two tracks in the corridor being operated separately, they remain directly adjacent to one another. Despite this and the danger posed to workers, work was carried out to one (the Belair line) without closing the other (freight line). This is relevant to the situation of Adelaide Railway Station because, although there is greater operational flexibility due to the number of tracks available, the authorities are electing to close all lines. You can argue their expertise in deciding this (though rubberman will argue otherwise), or about the differences in site circumstances (ie, the construction of the Convention Centre), but let's please cease this circular pedantry about the Belair line.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Nort

#1646 Post by Nort » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:08 pm

AtD wrote:I think it'd be less disruptive to keep the trains running during the day and have the work done on nights and weekends, even if it takes 3 months rather than 1. It's hard to convince the public that public transport is a reliable option when this happens.
The public would be easily convinced when the expansion costs taxpayers a lot more due to taking longer.

That said, I think having the station closed for a month is really bad planning.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#1647 Post by Eurostar » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:20 am

I hope the State Government is considering extending the platforms so more trains can fit. Once the Seaford Line is fully electrified and operational i do believe the 2000 Class Railcar services will be mostly replaced by the 3000 Class Railcars and the A City trains, so i urge train enthusiasts to get as mamny photos and videos as you can of the 2000 Class Railcars on the Noarlunga Centre Line especially past Ascot Park

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

Re: Electrification and Resleepering of suburban rail networ

#1648 Post by Eurostar » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:34 am

Although on the Gawler Central Line poles have been erected i do feel it womn't be the second line to be electrified because recently there has been proposal to take the Outer Harbor Line underneath the Torrens Junction and Bowden area, part of that proposal is also to have Bowden Railway Station moved underground. The best way is to have it electrified as who wants a dirty old diesel railcar stinking out the new station.

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#1649 Post by Hooligan » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:05 am

Install exhaust stacks?

Code: Select all

Signature removed 

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#1650 Post by Eurostar » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:21 am

Hooligan wrote:Install exhaust stacks?
That will go down well with the new residents of Bowden Village TOD. Like it or not the freight line project i feel will get priority over the Gawler Central electrification. The average joe using the Gawler Central Line trains couldn't give a s**t whether its a diesel railcar or NEW electrical railcar, as long as it gets them to their destination on time its fine