[COM] Rundle Place | 76m | 15lvls | Retail & Office

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
spiller
High Rise Poster!

[COM] Re: U/C: Rundle Place | 76m | 15lvls | Retail & Office

#1681 Post by spiller » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:01 pm

monotonehell wrote:
spiller wrote:Also has anyone made mention of the fact that the awnings dont extend to the front of where the apple store is going to be? Apparently they refused since its not "part of their branding to have awnings in front of their stores". I can 100% see why they have that viewpoint and its very valid IMO.
Apparently they like their clients to get wet when walking into their stores when it's raining? I don't see the justification in branding. Especially when the demand interferes with the overall aesthetic consistency in a building.
If people are congregating in front of the windows under cover whilst raining, perhaps it blocks the view through the windows? perhaps they feel this also prompts people to enter the store rather than "window shop"? You could say "well it barely rains in Adelaide so what about the 320 dry days per year" and it that case, people are using all of the footspace in the mall, not just the limited areas covered by awnings.

TooFar
Gold-Member ;)

#1682 Post by TooFar » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:25 pm

Pikey wrote:Thanks for the photo, didn't notice the roof top garden on top of the podium, with the established trees there.
Thats a good pick up considering all the leaves have dropped off.

This will be the Banks outdoor terrace, there will be no public access.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1683 Post by Will » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:36 pm

Not much of a secret....
DA/199/2013 Apple - G.25
Ground 77-91 Rundle Mall
ADELAIDE SA 5000
Erect signage above entry doors and attach signage to temporary hoarding. 12/03/2013 $6,000 Category 1

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1684 Post by AtD » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:01 am

Really disappointed on the laneway activation we were promised. Both laneways seem more desolate than they were before.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1685 Post by monotonehell » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:53 am

AtD wrote:Really disappointed on the laneway activation we were promised. Both laneways seem more desolate than they were before.
I was going to post something similar. It seems the only space fronting Francis Street is a small retail space that no one's taken on yet. I don't see anyone taking it on either the way it's configured. Maybe if they make the windows so they can all open it could be a cafe? Lindes Lane looks like there's nothing?
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1686 Post by Will » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:24 pm

monotonehell wrote:
AtD wrote:Really disappointed on the laneway activation we were promised. Both laneways seem more desolate than they were before.
I was going to post something similar. It seems the only space fronting Francis Street is a small retail space that no one's taken on yet. I don't see anyone taking it on either the way it's configured. Maybe if they make the windows so they can all open it could be a cafe? Lindes Lane looks like there's nothing?
Actually, that is not correct. The tenancy fronting Francis Street is currently being fitted out to open as United Latino Cocina - a Latin American restaurant/bar. However, you are right in stating that there is nothing fronting Lindes Lane.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1687 Post by monotonehell » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:00 pm

Will wrote:
monotonehell wrote:
Actually, that is not correct. The tenancy fronting Francis Street is currently being fitted out to open as United Latino Cocina - a Latin American restaurant/bar. However, you are right in stating that there is nothing fronting Lindes Lane.
Thanks Will that's awesome news.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1688 Post by Ben » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:17 am

Apple... Ruining the aesthetics of the mall since 2013...

Type: Development Application Received
Application Number: DA/303/2013
Lodgement Date: 19/04/2013
Location: Apple - G.25, Ground 77-91 Rundle Mall, ADELAIDE SA 5000
Description: Install bollards to existing shopfront.

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1689 Post by Nathan » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:47 am

Ben wrote:Apple... Ruining the aesthetics of the mall since 2013...
Apple generally use very low bollards (~30cm high) and close to the glass to protect the store from cars doing a smash and grab. You'll likely never notice them.

[Shuz]

#1690 Post by [Shuz] » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:08 am

Its a pedestrian mall! Cars aren't even allowed in the mall! Not to mention, they're pretty much exactly halfway down, so I'm pretty sure any car that did come into the mall would well and truly be reported before it even got to Apple!

Council should show common sense and reject this application.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1691 Post by Ben » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:15 am

If Jewellery stores don't see the need for them in the mall why do Apple? I can see it now....people will be driving through the mall to smash down the building to get inside. maybe we could install some speed humps down the mall to slow them down?

Nathan

#1692 Post by Nathan » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:16 am

[Shuz] wrote:Its a pedestrian mall! Cars aren't even allowed in the mall! Not to mention, they're pretty much exactly halfway down, so I'm pretty sure any car that did come into the mall would well and truly be reported before it even got to Apple!

Council should show common sense and reject this application.
Somehow I don't think someone using a car to smash a storefront is really going to get to the mall, see the "no cars" sign, and then turn around. Cars can enter off Gawler Pl (see early morning delivery vehicles, council vehicles, etc.) and it's not that far to Rundle Pl - especially at night when there's no activity. Apple has had many incidents of people doing exactly this kind of robbery, so it's understandable to put in some level of protection.

Of course a better solution would be to strategically place some street furniture in front of the store, but that comes down to the councils plans.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1693 Post by monotonehell » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:35 am

Nathan wrote:Somehow I don't think someone using a car to smash a storefront is really going to get to the mall, see the "no cars" sign, and then turn around. Cars can enter off Gawler Pl (see early morning delivery vehicles, council vehicles, etc.) and it's not that far to Rundle Pl - especially at night when there's no activity. Apple has had many incidents of people doing exactly this kind of robbery, so it's understandable to put in some level of protection.

Of course a better solution would be to strategically place some street furniture in front of the store, but that comes down to the councils plans.
30cm high bollards? That would be a major trip hazard. I just did a Google Image search for "apple store" and couldn't see any bollards outside any of the stores except for the all glass entry cube in Manhattan (?).

Waewick

#1694 Post by Waewick » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:11 pm

monotonehell wrote:
Nathan wrote:Somehow I don't think someone using a car to smash a storefront is really going to get to the mall, see the "no cars" sign, and then turn around. Cars can enter off Gawler Pl (see early morning delivery vehicles, council vehicles, etc.) and it's not that far to Rundle Pl - especially at night when there's no activity. Apple has had many incidents of people doing exactly this kind of robbery, so it's understandable to put in some level of protection.

30cm high bollards? That would be a major trip hazard. I just did a Google Image search for "apple store" and couldn't see any bollards outside any of the stores except for the all glass entry cube in Manhattan (?).
Do we know if they are retractable?

if 30cms constitutes a trip hazard people really need to stop walking and using their smart phones.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1695 Post by monotonehell » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:54 pm

Waewick wrote:if 30cms constitutes a trip hazard people really need to stop walking and using their smart phones.
I was going to put a snide remark about people and their iPhones, but it's sadly true that a majority of people do not look where they are walking. A foot high bollard is going to lead to injuries for sure.