[U/C] M2 North-South Motorway

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
neoballmon
Legendary Member!

[U/C] Re: News & Discussion: South Road / North-South Corridor

#421 Post by neoballmon » Fri May 17, 2013 9:37 pm

rubberman wrote:At the moment, there is a large demographic of voters who scarcely trust mobile phones, let alone smartphones, and I cannot see the Coalition upsetting that demographic, so even if they were to provide funding, it would probably have strings attached that allowed their constituents to use the road without having to deal with new fangled intertube systems.
Melbourne allows for paying a toll in any Australia Post outlet. I also stopped of at a CityLink building near one of the toll ways exits and purchased a weekend pass from a vending machine. I never once used a smart phone.
Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!

claybro
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#422 Post by claybro » Fri May 17, 2013 10:09 pm

rubberman wrote:At the moment, there is a large demographic of voters who scarcely trust mobile phones, let alone smartphones, and I cannot see the Coalition upsetting that demographic, so even if they were to provide funding, it would probably have strings attached that allowed their constituents to use the road without having to deal with new fangled intertube systems.
I must say, I am really confused here. I have been shouted down well and truly because I don't get the need super fast fibre to every home, and yet mention using technology to apply to collecting tolls, to enable contributing to some decent road infastructure and the response is muted. The point being, that the technology for collecting revenue from casual tollway users is already there, and it does not require a degree to access it. For regular users, an annual fee with applicable tag is already widely in use elsewhere.

Maximus
Legendary Member!

#423 Post by Maximus » Fri May 17, 2013 10:25 pm

claybro wrote:I must say, I am really confused here. I have been shouted down well and truly because I don't get the need super fast fibre to every home, and yet mention using technology to apply to collecting tolls, to enable contributing to some decent road infastructure and the response is muted.
'Bro, see page 27... :D
AtD wrote:For what it's worth, from 1 July there will be no toll booths left operating in Australia. The M5 in Sydney is the last toll road that accepts cash, and it is about to go cashless.
By the time we actually have a toll (if ever), I can't for the life of me imagine having coins-in-a-bucket toll collection. It will probably just be charged to the microchip implanted in the back of your neck and reconciled with the bank each night when you get home and wirelessly connect to your FTTH NBN.
It's = it is; its = everything else.
You're = you are; your = belongs to.
Than = comparative ("bigger than"); then = next.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#424 Post by rev » Fri May 17, 2013 10:32 pm

neoballmon wrote:
claybro wrote:Are you aware that on the Hume freeway in Victoria for example, there is a fixed camera located at one point, and then another say 5km along, another camera camera notes your rego, and then again at the next point, calculates the speed at which you have covered the distance, and if you have covered the distance too quickly, you get a fine.
It still amazes me we haven't started utilizing this technology yet in SA. With the large waves of fixed camera's going up as of late, it seems more worth their money to fund something along the lines of this. It wouldn't surprise me if this was implemented on the Superway, given its height above the ground, I'm sure they'd really want to discourage motorists doing high speed, and a fixed camera simply cannot prevent this for the whole 3kms.
And this technology in place could make the addition of toll technology a lot easier
I thought they had or were going to put these cameras up on Port Wakefield road? I recall reading an article about it.

claybro

#425 Post by claybro » Fri May 17, 2013 10:38 pm

Maximus wrote:By the time we actually have a toll (if ever), I can't for the life of me imagine having coins-in-a-bucket toll collection. It will probably just be charged to the microchip implanted in the back of your neck and reconciled with the bank each night when you get home and wirelessly connect to your FTTH NBN.
Hmm..scary but probably not to far off the mark.

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#426 Post by neoballmon » Fri May 17, 2013 11:36 pm

rev wrote:
neoballmon wrote:
claybro wrote:Are you aware that on the Hume freeway in Victoria for example, there is a fixed camera located at one point, and then another say 5km along, another camera camera notes your rego, and then again at the next point, calculates the speed at which you have covered the distance, and if you have covered the distance too quickly, you get a fine.
It still amazes me we haven't started utilizing this technology yet in SA. With the large waves of fixed camera's going up as of late, it seems more worth their money to fund something along the lines of this. It wouldn't surprise me if this was implemented on the Superway, given its height above the ground, I'm sure they'd really want to discourage motorists doing high speed, and a fixed camera simply cannot prevent this for the whole 3kms.
And this technology in place could make the addition of toll technology a lot easier
I thought they had or were going to put these cameras up on Port Wakefield road? I recall reading an article about it.
This is the first I've heard of it, but after Googleing it, you seem to be right. A number of locations are planned, but no dates are listed.

http://dpti.sa.gov.au/roadsafety/safer_ ... ety_camera
Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!

Aidan

#427 Post by Aidan » Sat May 18, 2013 12:38 am

claybro wrote:
Maximus wrote:By the time we actually have a toll (if ever), I can't for the life of me imagine having coins-in-a-bucket toll collection. It will probably just be charged to the microchip implanted in the back of your neck and reconciled with the bank each night when you get home and wirelessly connect to your FTTH NBN.
Hmm..scary but probably not to far off the mark.
And the system will automatically inform me that not only is my cat out of credit, she doesn't even have a driving licence!
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

claybro

#428 Post by claybro » Sat May 18, 2013 5:33 pm

Disappointed to read the RAA response to the discussion of a tollway on South road. Their main concern seems to be that traffic volumes would not be great enough to raise enough toll to fund the road construction. I would have thought the economics of any toll proposal should not be the RAA's concern. Their main worry should be that the proposed development is of sufficient quality to warrant a toll, that the toll for their members is not excessive, and that alternative routes are still available for those motorists that do not wish to pay a toll. A tollway will never stand up here on a purely economic equation,(ie a toll alone will not cover the billions required for a North/South expressway), but it should be considered as a revenue stream to help fund a loan to go with the state governments share of the cost.

rubberman

#429 Post by rubberman » Sat May 18, 2013 7:15 pm

The RAA is an advocacy group for auto users. Of course it is going to argue that its members should pay nothing. What other advocacy group does any different? :roll: The mining lobby? The pokies clubs? Industry groups? Welfare groups? Unions? Seriously? :lol: Hint: The RAA is not paid by its members so that those members have to pay tolls. :wink:

How unexpected that the RAA doesn't want tolls. LOL. :shock:

Fact is, everyone wants stuff for free from government, b**ches about the taxes they have to pay, points the finger at something someone else is getting as being something that can be cut, defends to the death the free stuff they already get, and they all agree how big, bloated and inefficient government is, and that if only all the stuff that other people get is cut we could balance the books. :sly:

Then we elect politicians who pander to this attitude, and wonder why infrastructure is so poor. :wallbash:

Actually, I wonder if the best approach might be to put major projects to the electorate as referenda at State and Federal elections. The cost of the project, and the tax increase to pay for it should be placed right next to the tick box. If then people voted to do nothing about South Road or whatever project because they don't wish to pay the extra tax, then nothing gets done. Period. If people then complain, they can be told to STFU until the next election when they can have another opportunity to say whether or not they want to pay for it.

claybro

#430 Post by claybro » Sat May 18, 2013 9:33 pm

rubberman wrote:The RAA is an advocacy group for auto users. Of course it is going to argue that its members should pay nothing
And yet the RACV in Victoria advocate for improved roads via expansion of such tollways as Citilink, and they also advocate for better pubic transport to reduce the number of ! occupant vehicles on the road in peak hours , thereby allowing better use of roads by those who have no alternative but to be on the road. It is no wonder why various state governments here so far have avoided the tough decisions of our Nth/Sth link as all they have to do is say "we cant afford it and no one wants tolls".

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#431 Post by AtD » Mon May 20, 2013 1:01 pm

[Shuz] wrote:A toll is a tax.
No, it's not. It's more like a bus ticket.

In a sane world, any toll in Adelaide would just plug in to the existing national electronic toll network. Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane all use the same system and electronic pass from one city works in all. No need to re-invent the wheel here.

rubberman

#432 Post by rubberman » Wed May 22, 2013 12:56 pm

crawf wrote:
rubberman wrote:This all sounds like Federal electioneering to me.

If the Coalition gets in in September (good odds), then unless they commit to this, it will not happen.

Let's wait till September before we start imagining that something will happen on this stretch of South Road. :roll:
With the State Government already committed to match the funding and works set to begin this year. I believe this is a very good chance of finally happening.

The Darlington project can wait, this section of road is dangerous and it wont be long before there is another serious accident or worst, death.
Today, I saw Joe Hockey deliver a speech where he specifically committed the Coalition to NOT funding any of the budget measures unless specifically mentioned in Coalition policy before the election.

So, South Road only gets funded if the Coalition specifically says it will. No, perhaps, surely, or probably about it. If it is not in Coalition policy, it is dead. That's it, out of the horse's mouth. He did not qualify this, and was very clear - it has a very poor chance of finally happening.

If anyone wants anything done on South Road, it will be at least another three years unless the Coalition specifically promises funding.

Waewick

#433 Post by Waewick » Wed May 22, 2013 2:02 pm

rubberman wrote:
crawf wrote:
rubberman wrote:This all sounds like Federal electioneering to me.

If the Coalition gets in in September (good odds), then unless they commit to this, it will not happen.

Let's wait till September before we start imagining that something will happen on this stretch of South Road. :roll:
With the State Government already committed to match the funding and works set to begin this year. I believe this is a very good chance of finally happening.

The Darlington project can wait, this section of road is dangerous and it wont be long before there is another serious accident or worst, death.
Today, I saw Joe Hockey deliver a speech where he specifically committed the Coalition to NOT funding any of the budget measures unless specifically mentioned in Coalition policy before the election.

So, South Road only gets funded if the Coalition specifically says it will. No, perhaps, surely, or probably about it. If it is not in Coalition policy, it is dead. That's it, out of the horse's mouth. He did not qualify this, and was very clear - it has a very poor chance of finally happening.

If anyone wants anything done on South Road, it will be at least another three years unless the Coalition specifically promises funding.
Well done on the specific part Labor announced in the budget.

The specifically said they would put $500m into darlington so we will get something.

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#434 Post by mattblack » Wed May 22, 2013 4:29 pm

Additionally fed. labor want work to start on this as early as September (buying up property, demolishion of existing houses), if this happends contracts will be locked and loaded and will be very hard to get out of. I can see the Libs proposed $500M being reallocated.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#435 Post by rev » Wed May 22, 2013 5:55 pm

mattblack wrote:Additionally fed. labor want work to start on this as early as September (buying up property, demolishion of existing houses), if this happends contracts will be locked and loaded and will be very hard to get out of. I can see the Libs proposed $500M being reallocated.
I think I read just over 40% of properties in the area of the latest Labor plan have already been bought up by the state government, and I believe they are continuing to buy properties along the route.
The plan is to start work(site works?) on this section by the time the Superway is finished, which is September apparently.