News & Discussion: Squares and Parklands

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Parklands

#286 Post by [Shuz] » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:33 am

Doge,

Such picture. Very upside down. Many confusion.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Dog
High Rise Poster!

News & Discussion: Adelaide Parklands

#287 Post by Dog » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:57 am

[Shuz] wrote:Doge,

The right way up on my stuff? (iPad via - tapatalk) few people have commented my pic's are often upside down

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

slenderman
High Rise Poster!

#288 Post by slenderman » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:19 am

Really? I thought it was just clever symbolisation on Dog's part of how this whopping 2 storey skyscraper has turned the Parklands Preservation Society's lives upside down.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#289 Post by monotonehell » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:27 am

Dog wrote:
The right way up on my stuff? (iPad via - tapatalk) few people have commented my pic's are often upside down...
Maybe this?
http://iphonephotographyschool.com/ipho ... side-down/
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Dog
High Rise Poster!

#290 Post by Dog » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:20 pm

monotonehell wrote:
Dog wrote:
The right way up on my stuff? (iPad via - tapatalk) few people have commented my pic's are often upside down...
Maybe this?
http://iphonephotographyschool.com/ipho ... side-down/
Cheers that would be it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#291 Post by Kasey771 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:43 pm

horrible thing to say..but I wish someone would just "Jimmy Hoffa"that Mr Gilfillan. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.

SRJ
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#292 Post by SRJ » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:16 pm

Until we stop local councils saying what we can a can't build we are always going to be behind compared to the other cities. A lot of councillor don't want stuff built that will interfere with the grass.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#293 Post by Will » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:22 pm

SRJ wrote:Until we stop local councils saying what we can a can't build we are always going to be behind compared to the other cities. A lot of councillor don't want stuff built that will interfere with the grass.
You are aware that the ACC hasn't ruled upon major development applications for several years now?

Nathan

#294 Post by Nathan » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:51 pm

Adelaide City Council and Office of Recreation and Sport plan to overhaul south and west parklands
TIM WILLIAMS CITY EDITOR THE ADVERTISER APRIL 22, 2014 11:03PM
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenger ... 6892800489

SHARED sports venues and facilities and a footbridge to Mile End are featured in a plan to rejuvenate tired infrastructure in the Adelaide parklands.

Adelaide City Council and the Office of Recreation and Sport have produced a masterplan to overhaul the south and west parklands, where most sport in the green belt is played.

It comes in response to feedback from clubs and associations showing “high levels of dissatisfaction” with outdated sports buildings, a lack of floodlit fields for training, overuse of grounds, poor drainage and inadequate parking.

The centrepiece is a shared community sports pavilion for cricket, football and lacrosse opposite the new Royal Adelaide Hospital off Port Rd.

Tell us: What changes would you like to see in our parklands?

The multi-sport hub would also have a floodlit beach sports centre to replace City Beach in Pirie St, a new skate park, a cafe and retail outlets for skate and beach sport groups to “create a sustainable revenue”.

The council wants sporting bodies to fund much of the 10-year plan, which will be considered by the Adelaide Park Lands Authority on Thursday and then costed before it is put to councillors in June.

The council’s active city program manager, Matthew Rechner said the sharing of facilities was key to the plan.

“The sort of thing we are really trying to get off the ground is this co-occupancy of buildings and shared sports grounds,” he said.

“Hopefully we will be getting seven-day-a-week activation of these facilities.”

Melbourne-based consultants insideEDGE Sport and Leisure Planning developed the plan, which includes:

A FOOTBRIDGE over the rail lines, linking the western parklands to Santos Stadium and the rest of the Mile End sports precinct;

DEMOLITION of 18 outdated sports buildings and replacing them with seven new ones, many for shared use;

A METROPOLITAN soccer hub off Sir Lewis Cohen Ave to be leased by Football Federation SA. It would have a full-sized synthetic pitch with removable fencing, new grass pitches and a new building;

A LARGE dog park next to Marshmallow Park, off Glen Osmond Rd;

THE addition of a pump track and parkour centre to the BMX tracks off Unley Rd;

CONSOLIDATION of state and club croquet in an expanded base off Hutt Rd.

Sport SA chief executive Jan Sutherland backed the idea of multi-sport centres to maximise their use.

“To make it sustainable the days of one sport with their own clubrooms are gone,” she said.

Ms Sutherland said combining sports whose needs and schedules complemented one another was crucial, as was ensuring high standard changerooms and toilets.

She praised the plan for being highly detailed but said it should have covered the whole parklands.

The South Australian Cricket Association wants an upgraded base for women, juniors and state development squads in the west parklands, while UniSA aims to expand its use of playing fields.

They are expected to be among partners delivering the plan with the council.

Mr Rechner said funding “is obviously the issue and we are looking at having these projects stakeholder driven”.

The footbridge could be timed with future upgrades of Santos Stadium and potentially funded in partnership with the State Government but was not a high priority, he said.

Volleyball SA business development general manager Andrew Rumbelow said he would prefer to retain City Beach, which the council wants to sell, but being part of a sports hub off Port Rd was the best alternative.

“It’s still in the city, and with the hospital being there and a lot of workers in the area, UniSA near there too and a prominent location with lots of traffic, we could still run a really successful business there,” he said.

In written feedback to the council, Football Federation SA said the proposed soccer hub was “an exciting opportunity” that fit within its own strategic plan.

“FFSA would like to secure a long-term lease over venues of this nature to ensure that investment returns are maximised,” it said.

“A venue of this type has potential for use by other rectangle sports.”

omada
Donating Member
Donating Member

#295 Post by omada » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:52 am

sport sport sport sport sport sport sport sport sport sport sport sport sport sport sport sport sport sport sport sport sport sport sport sport sport sport sport sport sport sport sport sport sport sport sport sport sport sport sport sport sport sport

SuperEgz
Gold-Member ;)

#296 Post by SuperEgz » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:50 pm

I like this idea but will the Parklands Protection Squad or what ever they call themselves freakout and stop this? I hope not.

[Shuz]

#297 Post by [Shuz] » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:55 pm

Two thumbs up from me!
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#298 Post by SRW » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:22 pm

I've never really thought of the Parklands as lacking facilities for sport as the article seems to imply, but there's much scope to improve the quality of such amenities so this plan is welcome. I only hope that areas for passive recreation are not crowded out or neglected at the same time.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Nort

#299 Post by Nort » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:06 pm

I would prefer to see the volleyball beach closer to West Terrace, but otherwise looks good.

dsriggs
Legendary Member!

#300 Post by dsriggs » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:32 pm

omada wrote:sport sport sport sport sport sport sport sport sport sport sport sport sport sport sport sport sport sport sport sport sport sport sport sport sport sport sport sport sport sport sport sport sport sport sport sport sport sport sport sport sport sport
As opposed to the other uses for the parklands, which include