News & Discussion: Adelaide Airport & Airlines

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Llessur2002
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Airport & Airlines

#1741 Post by Llessur2002 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:05 am

Paulns wrote:Can anyone see provisions for a tram in these pictures because I can't?
Norman wrote:The tram is a bit further back
Yeah, isn't that light grey bit the covered walkway from the tram stop (albeit realigned)? It's hard to tell what it is from the render but it looks like it's heading off towards where the tram stop would be...

Maximus
Legendary Member!

#1742 Post by Maximus » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:55 am

how good is he wrote:I think the biggest shame is the overhead ramp (to departures) will never exist again. I still can't understand the logic. Isn't it worse to combine travellers from both arrivals & departures in the same area? And what's to stop a terrorist driving in a bomb there? Do you know if other airports in Aust. have kept there public roads (elevated or not) open to the front of the airport doors?
We've discussed this a few times before, although not for a little while.

All the major airports in Australia have different arrangements to various degrees. Essentially this is because there are transport security guidelines issued by the Federal Government for front-of-house arrangements at airports, but they are exactly that -- i.e. guidelines, not rules. So airports have adopted them to whatever degree they see fit based on a range of considerations.

Obviously airports are a place where large groups of people will gather, so of course there is the opportunity for mass casualties from a terrorist attack. The main consideration is to keep such an opportunity limited to areas away from terminal buildings, hence the separation between the terminal and pick-up/drop-off area.

Personally, I have absolutely no problem with the sub-100m walk to the terminal, but I do agree that the mixing of pick-ups and drop-offs isn't ideal. And it is a little bit annoying that you can't be dropped off at the same level as check-in. Perhaps a 'first world problem', though. I can't say it's something that keeps me awake at night.

PS: Love the hotel renders. Other potential users will be passengers of the late-evening Emirates and Qatar flights where the flight is delayed and can't make it out before curfew. On the rare occasion that happens, it's going to save the airline a fortune in taxi fares to and from the city!
It's = it is; its = everything else.
You're = you are; your = belongs to.
Than = comparative ("bigger than"); then = next.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1743 Post by Ben » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:28 am

Not sure if this is the right thread but tenders were in the paper for Aldi Adelaide Airport. Not sure of the location. I assume near Harbour town?

The Beagle
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#1744 Post by The Beagle » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:56 am

Ben wrote:Not sure if this is the right thread but tenders were in the paper for Aldi Adelaide Airport. Not sure of the location. I assume near Harbour town?
It will be on the corner of Vimy Ave and Butler Blvd.

Torrens_5022
High Rise Poster!

#1745 Post by Torrens_5022 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:07 pm

So the Aldi will be in the industrial park, last road before Tapleys Hill rd as your heading west, will they be putting in traffic lights at that corner? I'm guessing somewhere around this roundabout - https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-34.934 ... 312!8i6656 Aldi will be

dbl96
High Rise Poster!

#1746 Post by dbl96 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:14 pm

There was an AirAsia plane landing at Adelaide at around 1.30pm today. Not sure what that was about.

adelaide transport
High Rise Poster!

#1747 Post by adelaide transport » Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:57 pm

As has been well reported in the media both in Adelaide and interstate there has been a shortage of aviation fuel at Melbourne Airport,due to a faulty batch delivered a few days ago.
As a result many International flights from Melbourne have been forced to refuel in Sydney and Adelaide.
In the last 24 hours we have had 3 Cathay Pacific A330's and 1 Air Asia A330 here for refuelling.

ghs

#1748 Post by ghs » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:41 pm

In that area between the car park and the airport (where the subway and water feature is), why
don't they setup a few outdoor eateries and cafes ?

The Beagle
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#1749 Post by The Beagle » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:56 am

I Believe Built (SA) have been awarded the contract to build the new hotel, should start March/April next year.

Stefan P
High Rise Poster!

#1750 Post by Stefan P » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:05 pm

Evening all,

China Southern inaugural Adelaide flight 'CZ663/664' is tomorrow 13/12/16...

A330-200 B-6135 is scheduled to operate the inaugural flight, due around 0930.

All the best to China Southern, this has been a long time in the making and hope it all goes well for both Adelaide and the China Southern.
Stefan

Alyx
High Rise Poster!

#1751 Post by Alyx » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:37 pm

I am not sure if these have been posted yet:

Source: http://www.hotelmanagement.com.au/2016/ ... ort-hotel/

ghs

#1752 Post by ghs » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:55 pm

Mr Bignell has hailed Premier Jay Weatherill’s intervention into discussions between the Government and China Southern Airlines in April this year in securing the` first scheduled flights from mainland China which launched yesterday.

“This is the guy you want in your corner when there’s negotiations to be had,” Mr Bignell said. “I was there at that meeting and it was a pleasant meeting like all the meetings we’ve had for the past six years and we weren’t on the radar to have direct flights this year or possibly not next year,” he said yesterday of the meeting at China Southern Airlines’ Guangzhou headquarters.

“We weren’t on the radar for flights . . . you know the Premier made that clear in the politest possible way.

“And it was a discussion in the lift . . . it was about five minutes of discussion behind a pot plant on the ground floor that absolutely changed the game.

“We were all thinking ‘we just heard what they said, we’re not going to get these flights by the end of 2016 – here we are December 13, 2016 we’ve got the flights largely due to the work of the Premier.”

Mr Bignell said Mr Weatherill had instructed SA Tourism chief executive Rod Harrex, who was part of a large delegation at Guangzhou, to remain in Guangzhou for a “few more days” and keep working on a deal.

“I think that really was the launch pad for this successful day we are celebrating today,” he said.

On April 11 the Government announced it had signed an agreement with the airline to establish direct passenger services between Adelaide and China’s third most populous city, which was formalised in August.

Mr Weatherill would not be drawn on whether discussions around taxpayer funding helped to secure the service.

“We know we have something beautiful here but the world has to know about it and they only get to know about it if there’s ease of access,” Mr Weatherill said of the benefit of the airline deal.

“First you need awareness before you can get preference and you can’t get awareness if there’s no international connections.”

The Advertiser understands Adelaide was competing against Cairns to become China Southern’s sixth Australian hub.
Rubbish !

Jay was only able to entice them with an incentive package (taxpayer's money).

He didn't do anything special by getting the deal done. There's been rumours of them coming into Adelaide for at least 3 years. It's been a slow process and China Southern even decided to fly to Christchurch before South Australia.

The SA government shouldn't be talking themselves up, given that it took so long to get the deal done !

Splashmo
High Rise Poster!

#1753 Post by Splashmo » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:33 pm

ghs wrote:Jay was only able to entice them with an incentive package (taxpayer's money).

He didn't do anything special by getting the deal done. There's been rumours of them coming into Adelaide for at least 3 years. It's been a slow process and China Southern even decided to fly to Christchurch before South Australia.

The SA government shouldn't be talking themselves up, given that it took so long to get the deal done !
Welcome to government :lol:

So which airline will be next? Want to place bets? It feels like we've gotten a lot of the "obvious" carriers. I'm still hopeful for Thai Airways and I doubt we could support Etihad. Maybe a Qantas 787 is our best hope?

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1754 Post by crawf » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:59 am

And then people will be whinging that the State Government hasn't done enough to boost tourism and international flights to Adelaide.

You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Pistol
Legendary Member!

#1755 Post by Pistol » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:19 pm

Splashmo wrote:
ghs wrote:Jay was only able to entice them with an incentive package (taxpayer's money).

Welcome to government :lol:

So which airline will be next? Want to place bets? It feels like we've gotten a lot of the "obvious" carriers. I'm still hopeful for Thai Airways and I doubt we could support Etihad. Maybe a Qantas 787 is our best hope?
Noting that Vietnam Airlines is expanding its fleet (the second largest fleet in SE Asia by 2020) and also the relatively healthy population of Vietnamese/descendants of Vietnamese in Adelaide, I would hope that they start a direct route.
Think it would be quite successful as well.
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken