News & Discussion: Adelaide Airport & Airlines

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
VinyTapestry849
High Rise Poster!

Re: Adelaide Airport $1B Expansion (2028)

#2971 Post by VinyTapestry849 » Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:44 pm

Pistol wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:07 pm
How far into the future are these images?
I love:
1. the design of the trucks they use (the future is now!) and
2. the projected Adelaide skyline.

I am assuming the image of the terminal is the completed expansion which, from memory, was going to undergo a staged expansion(?)
2028 for the airports completion
Screenshot 2023-11-17 134308.png
Screenshot 2023-11-17 134308.png (3.19 KiB) Viewed 1480 times
Though, its a bit optimistic for the Adelaide skyline to look like that in 2028. Its still going to be short asf

Saltwater
High Rise Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Airport & Airlines

#2972 Post by Saltwater » Fri Nov 17, 2023 3:50 pm

Ironically the only way the CBD skyline fills up with skyscrapers is if the airport is moved from its current location.

Page 421 of this doc includes a guide on where development applications need to be referred to the Airport. Not that they won't happen, just that the airport can challenge new buildings if they feel they'll be at risk: https://www.dit.sa.gov.au/__data/assets ... t_Plan.pdf

VinyTapestry849
High Rise Poster!

Re: [COM] Re: Adelaide Airport $1B Expansion (2028)

#2973 Post by VinyTapestry849 » Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:14 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:53 am
dsriggs wrote:I can't find the words "train" or "tram" anywhere in these articles.

Must be a mistake!
Same, which irritates me. This responsibility is also on the State Government, which is starting to fail in the public transport space.
I have a feeling the lack of train connection to the airport represents a hesitancy on the part of the government about the airport's future there.
Maybe a move could be on the cards? I'd just have expected a train line to be there by now, its 2023 and all other major airports in the country have a rail connection. Seriously lacking on the government's part. Imagine how many jobs could be created, which they could use as election policy.

ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#2974 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:57 pm

VinyTapestry849 wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:14 pm
ChillyPhilly wrote:
dsriggs wrote:I can't find the words "train" or "tram" anywhere in these articles.

Must be a mistake!
Same, which irritates me. This responsibility is also on the State Government, which is starting to fail in the public transport space.
I have a feeling the lack of train connection to the airport represents a hesitancy on the part of the government about the airport's future there.
Maybe a move could be on the cards? I'd just have expected a train line to be there by now, its 2023 and all other major airports in the country have a rail connection. Seriously lacking on the government's part. Imagine how many jobs could be created, which they could use as election policy.
This is too much common sense.

Where would you move the airport to?
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

VinyTapestry849
High Rise Poster!

#2975 Post by VinyTapestry849 » Sun Nov 19, 2023 1:15 am

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:57 pm
VinyTapestry849 wrote:
ChillyPhilly wrote:

And there bears the problem, since Adelaide is hedged in by the hills, urban expansion has always been an issue for Adelaide. I previously thought to theoretically move it to the Parafield airport site where the airport wouldn't affect CBD height restrictions and for its "size". But now I know after seeing it, it's not even half the size of the current Adelaide Airport. And furthermore moving it further north where it's hotter and nastier isn't an option (unless a second Adelaide Airport is built, eg: western Sydney intr. airport). There isn't much other choice than to redevelop the current site. On the rail side of things its just a lack of imagination and political action on all past state governments. The main western junction to the Adelaide Rail network, clearly situated on the western side of the parklands, is a mere less-than 4km away from the Airport Terminals, and a two-way tunnel wouldn't be all that expensive considering there aren't any other stations or junctions needed along that tunnel route other than the airport itself. Just a simple concrete-lined tunnel would suffice to get people each way to the city, and would generate hundreds if not a thousand jobs for the economy, (light-bulb moment Malinauskas? Clearly hasn't hit yet). Maybe there's a reason it hasn't happened we don't know about, but from a member of the public's point of view, wouldn't a direct, fast line be fantastic for an interstate/domestic/international traveler to use? Adelaide Airport again falling behind the other states. But back to an airport expansion, was bored so I roughly sketched a satellite image for what they really should be considering. Repossess (RED) and build a second runway to increase traffic and reduce pushback times for arrivals and departures (they currently line up after each other on the runway). Furthermore, extend Runway B (PURPLE) to allow not only small private aircraft (it's current use) but domestic 737s from Virgin and Qantas, allowing the other larger runways to prioritize international flights and freight. Additionally, continue with the current and in-construction airport plan of doubling the number of airport gates (GREEN) for more airport traffic and port availability during peak hours, but also consider using (YELLOW) as further space for future expansions perhaps? And finally, if demands for Adelaide flights periodically grow, but no plans are in place for a second airport (potentially up north or south) demolish and construct (PINK) as a location for an additional terminal, since it has sizeable space/area to accommodate aircraft. Just my thoughts Chilly.
Attachments
Redevelopment plans.png

Nort

#2976 Post by Nort » Sun Nov 19, 2023 2:17 pm

VinyTapestry849 wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2023 1:15 am
ChillyPhilly wrote:
VinyTapestry849 wrote:

And there bears the problem, since Adelaide is hedged in by the hills, urban expansion has always been an issue for Adelaide. I previously thought to theoretically move it to the Parafield airport site where the airport wouldn't affect CBD height restrictions and for its "size". But now I know after seeing it, it's not even half the size of the current Adelaide Airport. And furthermore moving it further north where it's hotter and nastier isn't an option (unless a second Adelaide Airport is built, eg: western Sydney intr. airport). There isn't much other choice than to redevelop the current site. On the rail side of things its just a lack of imagination and political action on all past state governments. The main western junction to the Adelaide Rail network, clearly situated on the western side of the parklands, is a mere less-than 4km away from the Airport Terminals, and a two-way tunnel wouldn't be all that expensive considering there aren't any other stations or junctions needed along that tunnel route other than the airport itself. Just a simple concrete-lined tunnel would suffice to get people each way to the city, and would generate hundreds if not a thousand jobs for the economy, (light-bulb moment Malinauskas? Clearly hasn't hit yet). Maybe there's a reason it hasn't happened we don't know about, but from a member of the public's point of view, wouldn't a direct, fast line be fantastic for an interstate/domestic/international traveler to use? Adelaide Airport again falling behind the other states. But back to an airport expansion, was bored so I roughly sketched a satellite image for what they really should be considering. Repossess (RED) and build a second runway to increase traffic and reduce pushback times for arrivals and departures (they currently line up after each other on the runway). Furthermore, extend Runway B (PURPLE) to allow not only small private aircraft (it's current use) but domestic 737s from Virgin and Qantas, allowing the other larger runways to prioritize international flights and freight. Additionally, continue with the current and in-construction airport plan of doubling the number of airport gates (GREEN) for more airport traffic and port availability during peak hours, but also consider using (YELLOW) as further space for future expansions perhaps? And finally, if demands for Adelaide flights periodically grow, but no plans are in place for a second airport (potentially up north or south) demolish and construct (PINK) as a location for an additional terminal, since it has sizeable space/area to accommodate aircraft. Just my thoughts Chilly.
I don't see a parallel runway in the form shown there being viable, when you consider the urban landscape directly beyond the airport at either end.

A train would be great sure, but a 4km train tunnel is still a massively expensive undertaking, and if you are digging it under the western suburbs would be madness to not also give it a couple of stations along that path.

For the cost of an airport train it's likely we could much more cheaply get a tram or even just more express buses, and given the close proximity to the CBD there wouldn't be much difference in transit time. People won't pay much of a premium for train tickets given it wouldn't benefit them in time too much, so the line is gonna be heavily subsidized, more so even than standard suburban lines.

VinyTapestry849
High Rise Poster!

#2977 Post by VinyTapestry849 » Sun Nov 19, 2023 3:52 pm

Nort wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2023 2:17 pm
VinyTapestry849 wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2023 1:15 am
ChillyPhilly wrote:

I don't see a parallel runway in the form shown there being viable, when you consider the urban landscape directly beyond the airport at either end.

A train would be great sure, but a 4km train tunnel is still a massively expensive undertaking, and if you are digging it under the western suburbs would be madness to not also give it a couple of stations along that path.

For the cost of an airport train it's likely we could much more cheaply get a tram or even just more express buses, and given the close proximity to the CBD there wouldn't be much difference in transit time. People won't pay much of a premium for train tickets given it wouldn't benefit them in time too much, so the line is gonna be heavily subsidized, more so even than standard suburban lines.
Just been reading up on the master plan, apparently there are long term future plans for a third runway!
Attachments
IMG_0363.png

Patrick_27

#2978 Post by Patrick_27 » Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:13 pm

Melbourne's Tullamarine Airport doesn't yet have a rail connection and it's one of the largest airports in the country...

There has been talk of moving the airport up north for years, be that Edinburgh RAAF base or the land parcel in Wingfield above the Port River Expressway, Ultimately Adelaide is very fortunate to have an ideally placed airport, close to the CBD and central for people up north, down south and further east. Spending billions on moving the airport elsewhere for a change in the flight path so we can build skyscrapers that we don't need is an utterly wasteful and frankly stupid notion.

ChillyPhilly

#2979 Post by ChillyPhilly » Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:15 am

The masterplan for the Multi-function Polis showed a third runway as I have illustrated:

Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Nort

#2980 Post by Nort » Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:05 am

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:15 am
The masterplan for the Multi-function Polis showed a third runway as I have illustrated:

Yep, and beyond that reserved land it's even more clear of the city and hills.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#2981 Post by rev » Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:39 am

There's no point discussing a new airport being built in Adelaide, when hundreds of millions have already been invested in the current airport, and a billion dollars in more investments is being prepared.
It was too late to move it when they built the new terminal.

VinyTapestry849
High Rise Poster!

#2982 Post by VinyTapestry849 » Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:21 am

Patrick_27 wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:13 pm
Melbourne's Tullamarine Airport doesn't yet have a rail connection and it's one of the largest airports in the country...

There has been talk of moving the airport up north for years, be that Edinburgh RAAF base or the land parcel in Wingfield above the Port River Expressway, Ultimately Adelaide is very fortunate to have an ideally placed airport, close to the CBD and central for people up north, down south and further east. Spending billions on moving the airport elsewhere for a change in the flight path so we can build skyscrapers that we don't need is an utterly wasteful and frankly stupid notion.
Melbourne airport is getting a rail connection as soon as 2026 on their massive new rail network. Adelaide will be the only major airport in the Top 5 without a rail connection.

Patrick_27

#2983 Post by Patrick_27 » Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:32 am

VinyTapestry849 wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:21 am
Patrick_27 wrote:

Melbourne airport is getting a rail connection as soon as 2026 on their massive new rail network. Adelaide will be the only major airport in the Top 5 without a rail connection.
Hence my mentioning of it not having one 'yet'. 50-odd years of planning, most of which it has been Australia's second busiest airport and even then, the final outcome not a direct rail link, it will still will act as a suburban line, that's the only reason they've been able to justify the expense of it to those taxpayers against the idea. My point is, like you (seemingly) and others I would love to see a rail link to Adelaide Airport (for me, in the way of a tram, because it's cheaper to build and will more likely get off the ground) because the current bus system is inadequate, especially for what's planned for Adelaide Airport in the coming years, but it doesn't mean that Adelaide Airport can't sustain itself without a rail link.

The recent piece done by InDaily regarding the inadequacies of Adelaide's PT and more specifically our rail network showed the preferred route by the lobbying body for getting a tram to Adelaide Airport, which involved a spur line from the Port Road/James Condon Drive intersection and running it along there, using a mixture of stormwater corridors, median strips and quieter Western Suburbs roads to make it happen, and I think that's the real winner. So long as there are lobbyist putting these more efficient ideas out in the mix, the more likely we are to see it happen when the absolute need is there.

VinyTapestry849
High Rise Poster!

#2984 Post by VinyTapestry849 » Mon Nov 20, 2023 3:09 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:32 am
VinyTapestry849 wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:21 am
Patrick_27 wrote:

Hence my mentioning of it not having one 'yet'. 50-odd years of planning, most of which it has been Australia's second busiest airport and even then, the final outcome not a direct rail link, it will still will act as a suburban line, that's the only reason they've been able to justify the expense of it to those taxpayers against the idea. My point is, like you (seemingly) and others I would love to see a rail link to Adelaide Airport (for me, in the way of a tram, because it's cheaper to build and will more likely get off the ground) because the current bus system is inadequate, especially for what's planned for Adelaide Airport in the coming years, but it doesn't mean that Adelaide Airport can't sustain itself without a rail link.

The recent piece done by InDaily regarding the inadequacies of Adelaide's PT and more specifically our rail network showed the preferred route by the lobbying body for getting a tram to Adelaide Airport, which involved a spur line from the Port Road/James Condon Drive intersection and running it along there, using a mixture of stormwater corridors, median strips and quieter Western Suburbs roads to make it happen, and I think that's the real winner. So long as there are lobbyist putting these more efficient ideas out in the mix, the more likely we are to see it happen when the absolute need is there.
I think the obvious reason Melbourne didn’t have a connection would be its remote location away from suburbia. It’s illogical to think an airport of that size, if closer to the cbd, wouldn’t have had a rail connection. If it was closer it would have been connected decades ago. We’re in the opposite situation, but our problem is that the past state governments couldn’t get their sh!t together and build a connection by now. On another note, I admire Melbourne’s advantage of its remote location and lack of curfew, something Adelaide could have benefitted from had it been moved further north. But with its location set in stone now, (with this possible multi-billion dollar expansion going forward) maybe the airport could just send everyone some ear muffs and remove the curfew 😉. Or on a more serious note, pay for sound proofing insulation (which is efficient) of affected house holds. It works better then you think… and would allow increased air traffic.

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#2985 Post by Jaymz » Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:08 pm

From a couple random articles i've read over recent years, modern aircraft are much less disruptive to residents living close to airports..... as in, they are able to ascend and descend at steeper angles compared to older planes. I'm sure the engines are probably quieter also. So what i'm trying to say is, let's not be moving the airport to some far-flung paddock 30kms north of the city please. IMO, Adelaide Airport's close proximity to the CBD is a huge convenience and we shouldn't be changing it, ever! 8)